Siemens HMI alarms

cornbread

Lifetime Supporting Member
I have Siemens TP177B, and I want to clear the alarm banner. Is it simple as creating a button and setting that button to clearalarmbuffer?

Is it to clear alarms in the alarm view?

If it is in alarm view then go to properties and in Display mark "ACK" button.

This button will clear a alarm from the list when not active

Alarm.jpg

No.
ClearAlarmBuffer will remove all alarms. Active or not, they'll ALL be cleared.

You can however:
- Show only active alarms by selecting only Pending Alarms in the General properties tab. (thus deselecting Unacknowledged Alarms)
- Create button with the event AlarmViewAcknowledgeAlarm, found under 'Keyboard operations for Screen object'. (in stead of Alarms, them silly germans :D )
Specify the alarm banner as Screen object.

@JERA: If you select in Properties>Layout>Mode as "Line", then you can't show any buttons, it's a single line with the latest alarm.

I would like to ack and clear each individual alarm one at a time. The skid unit we have now looks like it has no provisions for doing that. No Ack has been configured in the alarm view.

Gauging by your screenshot your panel is actually an OP177B, not a TP177B. This panel is a bit of a special one. It has touch AND full keyboard. The keys in the keyboard do not have fixed functions, you have to assign the functionality to each key.
I suggest you chose one key that should be the ACK System key.
Open the Template and select the key, and on the event "Press", add the function "SimulateSystemKey" and specify the parameter "ACK".
This ACK button will affect both an alarm banner as well as an eventual alarm view.

You can ALSO add the touch ACK button that is integrated into the alarm view such as JERA suggested. But this button will only appear when the alarm view is displayed.

edit: Jeebs suggestion is also possible, but the available screen area isnt great on the OP177B. Would be a shame to waste the screen area for a global button when you have all these keys you can use instead.

Let me suggest the following so that the layout will be very similar to Siemens panels with normal (fixed) keys:
K2=ESC
K10=ACK
K18=ENTER

I have added all the other normal system keys to other physical keys so I have the same functionality as a panel with fixed keys. And I have inserted plastic strips with a legend for all the keys.
Golden tip: Forget about making a long plastic strip for the legend for the very long strip that also covers the keys F1..F7 and F2..F8. These long strips are near impossible to insert. Just limit yourself to the strips that only covers the lower 3 keys.

Be sure to have the keys set to Use global assignment in all the normal screens.

You can ALSO control the LEDs in each key. For example let the ACK key flash when there are unacknowledged alarms. This however require some interaction with the PLC program. The LED control is setup the same place as the event action assigned to each key.

Last edited:
Btw. You can acknowledge each alarm. The "clearing" happens automatically after acknowledgement when the alarm disappears, i.e. the bit that is assigned to signal the alarm in the PLC goes OFF.