AB Motion controller

chintankAne

i have no idea about motion controller

currently i am working on this below link project

http://www.ab.com/motion/applications/ctlngth.html

you can check flash animation to get more detail

in which i am using photo sensor.so when photo sensor get mark position then servo motor stop indexing and cutter will cut part.

and for plain material enter size in HMI (size 200= 1 complete servo revolution)
so can any one suggest me which AB PLC and AB motion controller i have to use and which instruction i have to use for this project.

The possibilities are wide and without stating further criteria such as price, form factor, level of integration desired, etc. it's really difficult to proffer a solution. Best bet, contact a local AB rep. With that said, I do CTL apps often, but not standalone...they are a subsystem to a larger integrated package. So I typically use ControlLogix 1756 series PLCs with a motion axis sercos module connected to Kinetix 6000 series drives. Or Kinetix 6500s on Enet via EN3TR ethernet modules. For a single or dual axis control of a cutter head and feed roll, that's probably overkill.

i need to get idea for programing motion control for this application which motion control instruction i need to use. i am going with AB SERCOS.

The motion instructions you use will depend upon the functionality you desire. Also depends upon the motor/encoder combo in regards to if it is an absolute or incremental encoder. Most CTL apps use an incremental encoder with an external homing proximity switch. The Infeed if on servo wouldn't need homing as it will be doing jogs.

So in general, the commands you'll use are:

Reset the Servos to a Ready State:
MASD - Shutdown Axis
MASR - Reset Shutdown
MAFR - Reset Faults

CTL Servo
MSO - Turn Servo ON
MAH - Home to a Prox
MAM - Incremental Moves of X degrees for a cut

Infeed Servo
MSO - Turn Servo ON
MAJ - Jog at speed

Depending of safe conditions you may use a MSF - Servo OFF

Another thing to consider is if the Infeed Servo is following upstream motors for speed match or tension control. Then you may use other commands and may have another motion axis card for reading the encoder of another motor section and do speed following.

Again, options are varied but you will use the above commands in some form or fashion for a CTL application.

Thank you robertmee for sharing your knowledge.
i am using servo motor with incremental encoder. but i have trouble to get home position of servo motor.
do you think so i have to go for absolute encoder or i can get beck my servo to its home position in incremental encoder and if yes than suggest me how?

You can use an incremental encoder, but you will need an external 24VDC prox switch or other sensor wired to the INPUT connector on the Kinetix Drive. If you look at the manual for a Kinetix you will see a HOME input. For a CTL application, usually you mount a metal tab somewhere on the end shaft of the cutting cylinder (assuming a rotational CTL) and then a prox on the machine to detect this tab. Then issue a home command which runs the cylinder until the prox is found. Again, not knowing the mechanical particulars it's hard to say where to mount the prox, and how much of a home offset you'll want. The prox doesn't have to be at any particular position as the HOME tab of the kinetix axis setup you can designate offsets to position. In otherwords, when the home prox is found, you don't have to call that zero. It can be anything you want. Once you do a home once, you'll just do incremental moves for cuts. Over time unless you have a high precision gear box you will accumulate error so periodically you will need to re-home. But that should be trivial.

If you switch to an absolute encoder, then you set the position you want to be zero (or some offset) and issue a Passive MAH command that sets this position forever as home. You won't ever have to do a home again unless you change motor/drive. However, again in this application which I presume is a rotary CTL, an absolute would probably not be ideal. Because your CTL always turns in the same direction over long periods of time you will experience error and drift in position. Absolutes are great for positions back and forth (linear) but not so beneficial for continued movements in the same direction.

Last edited: