Measuring cloth length using an encoder Mitsubishi FX PLC

djmitch

Hi guys,

I want to measure the length of a piece of cloth that is produced by a machine using an encoder and a mitsubish FX PLC. I don't really know where to begin, could anybody help me and possibly give me and example program? o_O

I know how to read the encoder value and set it up as we currently use this in some other systems but don't know how to use it for measuring.

Just a note... there is backlash in the gearing due to the way the cloth is produced, this can not be changed.:sick:

Thanks in advance
Mark

Wel I assume you an read the pulses from the encoder so i suggest you use a sensor to detect the leading edge of the fabric, use this to reset the encoder value on a pulse [PLS]then use the same signal on falling edge PLF load the count into a 32 bit register then divide it by number of pulses per mm/inch/foot/yard etc.
this will give you the length in what ever you desire
so for example if the count is 50 per mm just divide the pulses by this figure