duel compressor Logix pro

broad bruce

Working on a lab problem for school, its the Logix Pro duel compressor program. I have it working for one motor, but in problem two it wants you to cycle the motors after each time the motor fills the tank. I know this is simple for you guys but I am stuck. Our instructor hinted using a counter to cycle the motors.Just can't quite get there. Help is needed.

In your existing program you have a bit that is used to turn the compressor on. I don't know what you called it, but for the purpose of discussion let's call it "Run_Command". You will need to modify your existing logic to add a bit that I'll call "Use_Compressor1". You will also need to add a similar rung to turn on the second compressor, but in that rung you will need to use a bit called "Use_Compressor2" instead of "Use_Compressor1".

Now your challenge is to create logic to control the two new bits. That's where the counter your instructor suggested could come into play.

For example, each time you start either compressor you increment the counter. When its .ACC value is even, turn on the bit, "Use_Compressor1", when the .ACC value is odd, turn on the bit "Use_Compressor2". I'll leave it up to you to figure out how to determine if the counter's .ACC is even or odd.

man do i feel stupid, can solve this problem, it should be an easy one but I can find the answer, off to work will work on it when I get home...

man do i feel stupid, can solve this problem, it should be an easy one but I can find the answer, off to work will work on it when I get home...
It is a trick question. You need to use the alternator or flip-flop logic mehtod. There are a dozen different ways to create alternator logic (using a counter is one of them). Save yourself some time. Search on this site for "LogixPro Dual Compressor".

http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/search.php?searchid=3474245

I guess that to find the secret to writing alternator logic might take 2 or 3 weeks working on your own. Once you see it, you will see how easy it is, but you are unlikely to stumble upon it by your self. It is not that type of logic.

I used a counter, incremented it with the pressure switch. If it's value is 1, I start compressor 1, if it's value is 2, I start compressor 2. Use a "one shot" on the fall of compressor 2 to reset the counter.
I know this works as I have used it in real life, not just logix pro.

I used a counter, incremented it with the pressure switch. If it's value is 1, I start compressor 1, if it's value is 2, I start compressor 2.
If you use a pressure switch to increment a counter, then what happens when both compressors need to run (at start-up Pressure = 0, and during heavy flows)? It seems that your method would only allow Compressor 1 OR Compressor 2 to run, but not both under certain conditions.

Last edited:
If you use a pressure switch to increment a counter, then what happens when both compressors need to run (at start-up Pressure = 0, and during heavy flows)? It seems that your method would only allow Compressor 1 OR Compressor 2 to run, but not both under certain conditions.

If I'm recalling correctly, the exercise in logix pro uses a pressure switch (which is common for an air compressor) as the signal to start the compressor. There was more to the program than that, but that was the basics of the alternator logic that I used. It's been several years since I played with logix pro so I may be a little fuzzy on the logic.

Last edited:
Our instructor hinted using a counter to cycle the motors. Just can't quite get there. Help is needed.
I think the counter method mentioned by the instructor is the Alternator Method 4 in the attached picture. The B3:0/0 C1/C2 TOGGLE will be ON every other time that PE1 goes from off to on. Use Pressure Switch PE2 (set to have a Span 1 more than PE1) to bring on BOTH compressors when one is not enough.

LogixPro Dual Compressors w Alternator.jpg

Last edited:
It appears that in Rung0002 you are using a not-equal instruction. Change that to an equal instruction, you should be able to figure out what value it should equal. The reason you want to use and equal instruction is, what if next week you are asked to create a three pump alternator?

The not equal was used as a fail safe. Any time the accumulator is not at 0, pump 2 will run. If I have to create a 3 pump alternator, pump 1 will run on 0, pump 2 will run on 1, and pump 3 on any value other than 0 or 1.
Yes, I could have used another equal to instruction and the value would be 1.