IEC 61131 "compatible" PLC systems

I'm building some trainer panels for use in my PLC and Industrial Control Systems courses. I want a modular system for future expansion. I plan to use CodeSys, so systems that are integrated with that IDE are preferred.

Anyone have positive or negative experiences with any particular vendor(s)? Thanks.

Have you considered LabVIEW?

National Instruments offers free software for students, and heavily rebated hardware (MyRIO).

We have a student rep. on our uni who offers free workshops with the possibility of a free certification in the end.

Have you considered LabVIEW?

Thanks for the suggestion. We have LabView! However, LV is not a replacement for a PLC, and our Advisory Committee demands a "PLC" course. I also try to avoid single-vendor solutions when I can.

National Instruments offers free software for students, and heavily rebated hardware (MyRIO).
Well, sort of. It doesn't stay free for long, but the limited student version is cheap enough. They ought to rebate the hardware given the normal list prices they charge for it.

We have a student rep. on our uni who offers free workshops with the possibility of a free certification in the end.
That's good and you should take advantage of that while you can. LabView is very popular in some industries. You can probably get a job working with LV at your uni right now (I did, when I was at uni). It wouldn't pay much but you'd get invaluable experience, and make some good contacts.

Also, don't limit yourself to LabView. Matlab is also quite good though the hardware ecosystem is different. You can also do a lot with Python/SciPy/etc.

I paid $250 for the eval kit of the MyRIO. University price is about double that, and I can only imagine how much the listed price is.

I did get my CLAD that way and but haven't done any "real" work with it.

Regarding PLC's, I am a Siemens guy, lol. I would contact some rep's for different brands and see if they can offer you any deals.

Alternatively, ask companies to sponsor some used hardware.

on codesys.com you can find a long list with codesys inside.
i would opt for V3 (only a few have this)
Or use the PC as SoftPLC, you can connect via internet slaves etc
The software runs fro 2 hours each time, and that stays free of any charge. Even a raspberry can be used as interface, or arduino, or indeed any PLC with internet like beckhoff or wago, or any, all students can make unlimited programs, and on one system a paid version and it will run forever complete price is about 500 $.

I paid $250 for the eval kit of the MyRIO. University price is about double that, and I can only imagine how much the listed price is.

It is godawful expensive for what it does.

I did get my CLAD that way and but haven't done any "real" work with it.
I mistook you for a student after you suggested LV instead of a PLC. Sorry about that!

Regarding PLC's, I am a Siemens guy, lol. I would contact some rep's for different brands and see if they can offer you any deals.
Got some kind of WAGO thing on the way already, looks neat. Can you say "Siemens" around here without getting beat up by AB fans?

Alternatively, ask companies to sponsor some used hardware.
Agreed, I'm not proud.

on codesys.com you can find a long list with codesys inside.

Yeah, I've got the list, funny thing is I've found more than a few recommendations for hardware that isn't on the list, leading me to suspect the list may have aged.

i would opt for V3 (only a few have this)
Thanks. I was wondering if there were big differences.

Or use the PC as SoftPLC, you can connect via internet slaves etc
I was looking at TwinCAT, which looks neat and about which I've heard good things, but I think I will stay away from a PC based solution. I'm at a .edu and our IT dep't makes it difficult to have control over the purchasing of PC's, and movement of the same.

The software runs fro 2 hours each time, and that stays free of any charge.
Even a raspberry can be used as interface, or arduino
I saw that. I love embedded programming and I can't tell you how happy it makes me to have another good excuse to buy more of that kit! I have ordered a set of RPI's & cameras, ( I want to put together a poor man's vision system with them), and also a set of arduinos, with CANBUS shields.

or indeed any PLC with internet like beckhoff or wago, or any, all students can make unlimited programs, and on one system a paid version and it will run forever complete price is about 500 $.
Got any favorite Beckhoff models (besides the TwinCAT)?

I'm also thinking about some of these little Eaton/Moeller EZ smart relay things, for simple basic stuff.

$250.00 for a NI toy like that is dead cheap lol :). You can do a lot with it. But yes, it is still a lot of money. You pay for the little NI logo :).

I am a student still, 2 more days!

I am from the Netherlands, moved here a couple of years ago and haven't gotten accustomed to having to be ashamed for being a Siemens guy, lol :)

Good luck on getting your class to work!

$250.00 for a NI toy like that is dead cheap lol :). You can do a lot with it. But yes, it is still a lot of money. You pay for the little NI logo :).

It adds up when you try to equip a lab.

I am a student still, 2 more days!

I am from the Netherlands, moved here a couple of years ago and haven't gotten accustomed to having to be ashamed for being a Siemens guy, lol :)

Good luck on getting your class to work!
Congrats and good luck to you as well.

these simple logo or moeller things are to simple and difficult to program (with ladder)
the learning curve is higher as and only small programs ares possible.

In a PC you can make and simulate big and small programs.
if you need real control you connect a simple beckhoff plc with some modules.
it is similar to other languages, however please only tend to have the standard blocks.