DeviceNet Network.

rahilansari

Hi

I am going establish communication between GE Fanuc series 90-30 PLC as DeviceNet master and 12 no.s of Rockwell 825-P motor manager (Protection relays) as Slaves over Device Net. I have downloaded the .EDS file required for Proficy Machine Edition to configure the DeviceNet Salves.

Could any one give me some brief information about the things I should prepare before I start or some basic rules for DeviceNet network.

appreciate your comments.
Thanks
RA

Hi

I have only ever set up device net on ab but there are some rules I stick to
Start your set up before you actually are on site or in front of the machine and don't do the first one at a weekend as it's harder to get support.
Set up one node first and by this I mean just have one unit wired up andset it up on the lowest baud rate. Make sure that you have the correct eds file and download the manual for the units you are using even if you have used them in the past as these items do change.
Check the voltage first, if possible have the units side by side and in a bench if possible. Layout Yusuf mapping first in an excel sheet or something like that.
Assign node numbers again in excel first and lay out the network.

These are my general rules but I am sure others here will have better ones

Donnchadh

The industry governing agency for DeviceNet is the ODVA, and you can find some good information on the technology on their website, ODVA.ORG.

The first part of the "DeviceNet Book of Knowledge" focuses on the technology and installation, and the second part focuses on Allen-Bradley devices. It's available from the Rockwell Automation Knowledgebase as Article ID # 44883.

You need to register for a free account on the RA website, but that document does not require a support contract.