field instruments status to be display

rohit_plc

Hello all.... hope all of you doing well,

I have an Project in which filed instruments includes 18 limit switch operated on 230v and a single flow meter which operated on 4-20ma all of these instruments data (status of all inputs ) i have to display on HMI. Plz suggests me solution for this. another thing i have communicate hmi with SAP(System Application & Products).

So far you have given us:

18 DI @ 230VAC
1 AI @ 4..20 mA

About any PLC will be able to do this either directly or with some added relays.

How does your data have to be presented to your "SAP"?
Do you have a certain brand of PLC in mind?

these instruments are in far distance from control room (about 1200 meter) controlled on old system (relay based circuits) we have to install plc and hmi.our aim is to just display their status in control room on an hmi not controlling anything.what are the possible and best way to do that...actually iam new to plc world, ur help is really appreciated ...two brands are in my mind rockwell and delta

your best option would be to look up a systems integrator in your area.

since you are new to plc's, i would goto a local technical school for some night classes if possible and get some training for the future.

regards,
james

If the goal is not learning PLC's, then simple indication can be done with a panel meter (flowrate) or panel rate/totalizer (flowrate and total) with some annunciators for the discretes.

No programming, no software, just hardwired indicators:

flow rate indicator:
2lcsr43.jpg

discrete annunciator:
10mty6v.jpg

The specific annunciator (above) does not handle AC inputs; the AC field signal would have to drive the coil of a relay and the relay's dry contacts would then drive the annunciator input.

Hi rohit.

Assuming that your field instruments are located at a distance of 1200 mtr from control room where you want your HMI to display the data;
there are 2 ways :
1.Use Remote IO system...where your IO card and a communication module will be installed...and then lay a FO cable from the communication cable to your PLC's CPU & HMI which will be installed at control room.
2.Install IO cards,CPU & communication module in the field.Lay one FO cable from PLC to HMI which is in control room

I hope this helps !!

Hi rohit.

Assuming that your field instruments are located at a distance of 1200 mtr from control room where you want your HMI to display the data;
there are 2 ways :
1.Use Remote IO system...where your IO card and a communication module will be installed...and then lay a FO cable from the communication cable to your PLC's CPU & HMI which will be installed at control room.
2.Install IO cards,CPU & communication module in the field.Lay one FO cable from PLC to HMI which is in control room

I hope this helps !!

thanks for your reply i thing i want to know about is it possible to carry out all field wiring to control room and install plc and hmi there...? beacuse there are limit switches which are operated on 230v and only one flow meter(4-20ma)..

Last edited:
If you are only displaying the values I would just use a remote io system, use a remote io system that has a modbusTCP interface and just have the hmi read straight from that (no plc required). I have done this a couple of times using Advantys remote io system from Schneider