Panelview/controllogix File Access Error

russrmartin

Men,

I have a panelview 1000 talking to a controllogix 5000. There were tags F8 and F23 installed and being used in the taglist already. There was also a F82 that was installed, but none of these are currently used. I tried aliasing some new tags to F82:0 to F82:11. After downloading, I get stars in my box. I changed one tag in the panelview from F82:0 to F23:0, and the panelview will display the number in F23:0. I tried creating a real tag F81, and the results are the same as what I get with the F82. My question is, when creating a new real number file to use in the panelview, is there some sort of mapping that needs to be done. I have used existing tags before, without trouble, but I have never created a whole new integer file, or real number file to use. I am suspecting that someone else here wanted another real number file, but couldn't get it to work either, just as I have with F81. All of my CLogix tags are aliased to F82 already, so I would like to stick with that if I can, mostly because I don't want to have to delete and reacreate all of them. Any help is appreciated.

Russ

kind of got ya

I know about the arrays. I did that, this is what I meant when I said I created an F81 file. I created an array and named the file F81. Where does this mapping for the panelview take place? I am thinking that the F82 was never mapped so that the Panelview can find it.

Russ

What you're almost certainly doing (and I can't say for certain without seeing your actual programs) is using SLC/PLC style addressing in the PanelView and configuring the ControlLogix to "map" PLC/SLC data files to a tag array.

What is confusing is that your original programmer probably used Logix arrays called "F8[x]" and "F23[x]". They could just as easily be called "Huey[x]" and "Dewey[x]"; their names have nothing to do with how the PanelView accesses them with PLC/SLC addressing !

In RSLogix 5000, use the main menu to navigate to Logic -> Map PLC/SLC Addresses.

This is a table of PLC/SLC data files that are mapped to arrays of Logix tags. When a PanelView or a PLC or SLC controller requests a data element from one of those file numbers (note that the file types are not specified, just the number) then the ControlLogix responds with the corresponding array element.

Yes, Yes,

To access the mapped addresses in logix, select from the op menu--logic, then Map Plc/Slc Messages. This table "points" Clogix arrays to file numbers.

thanks

Thanks guys. The problem was that the F82 array was never done. I did go to the logic tab and map plc/slc or whatever the name of it is and did do that. The F23 had been done, which would explain why the panelview would see it and the not the F82. Thanks.

Russ

How Do I Access Array Elements

Ken Roach said:
What you're almost certainly doing (and I can't say for certain without seeing your actual programs) is using SLC/PLC style addressing in the PanelView and configuring the ControlLogix to "map" PLC/SLC data files to a tag array.

What is confusing is that your original programmer probably used Logix arrays called "F8[x]" and "F23[x]". They could just as easily be called "Huey[x]" and "Dewey[x]"; their names have nothing to do with how the PanelView accesses them with PLC/SLC addressing !

In RSLogix 5000, use the main menu to navigate to Logic -> Map PLC/SLC Addresses.

This is a table of PLC/SLC data files that are mapped to arrays of Logix tags. When a PanelView or a PLC or SLC controller requests a data element from one of those file numbers (note that the file types are not specified, just the number) then the ControlLogix responds with the corresponding array element.

I think I understand how to setup the array and file number mapping but how do I access specific elements of the array from the PV?