Wire Type

Tim Ganz

I ordered some MTW wire to use inside my panel and THHN for field wiring but the distributor shipped TFFN in the place of THHN.

Is TFFN a good replacement for THHN pulling through conduit? The TFFN feels more like MTW than it does THHN.

If the conduit is in a dry location and the voltage on the wiring is 24 or something like that, I would use it. I don't use anything smaller than 14 for line (120) voltage.

Last edited:
I ordered some MTW wire to use inside my panel and THHN for field wiring but the distributor shipped TFFN in the place of THHN.

Is TFFN a good replacement for THHN pulling through conduit? The TFFN feels more like MTW than it does THHN.
TFFN is only available in 16ga and 18ga, so you must have tried to buy 16ga or 18ga THHN.

You cannot pull individual conductors in conduit that is under 14ga wire. Smaller wire can be used inside of things like control panels and fixtures, and it can be used in larger bundles like control cable and tray cable, but not pulled in conduit in the field as single conductors. So there is no reason for anyone to make 16 and 18ga THHN.

TFFN is only available in 16ga and 18ga, so you must have tried to buy 16ga or 18ga THHN.

You cannot pull individual conductors in conduit that is under 14ga wire. Smaller wire can be used inside of things like control panels and fixtures, and it can be used in larger bundles like control cable and tray cable, but not pulled in conduit in the field as single conductors. So there is no reason for anyone to make 16 and 18ga THHN.

In Class 1 circuits, you can use 16 or 18 awg in conduit. Refer to NEC article 725.

And it isn't being installed in a Damp or Wet location. So the conduit(s) can't go underground, can't be in concrete slabs, not exposed to liquids. Obtain a copy of the NEC for more detailed information on Damp and Wet location definitions.

I would run them in separate conduits and use 14 for the 120vac wiring. Nec does allow it in 16, but I generally only use it for 24v.

Can I ask why? 16AWG is my default wire size for field I/O 24V or 120V. I just find it easier to work with.