What is a normalized number?

TheWaterboy

Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
I am chasing a gremlin through a system where a bunch of values will drop to zero for no good reason and then return just as quickly. The only thing I have found so far is a setting in Kepware that will replace "non-normalized" numbers with Zero or, as another option, leave them be.

I looked up IEEE-754 and it talked about these huge values and what happens when they are handled. The values in question come from a PLC5 where the values are only integer sized and never more than 1000. Some are floats so I can envision that maybe these might become de-normalized when math is done on them. But thats a guess based on no real understanding of the subject.

Can someone expain in laymans terms what non-normalized numbers are and why Kepware might be seeing them from this PLC-5?

I don't know if this is the cause of this problem, but it's a puzzle I need to resolve. I set kepware to stop setting non-normalized values to zero and the issue stopped, but it has stopped on its own before so this isn't definitive.

I would contact Kepware. It could be an OPC data quality issue. Attached to every tag in OPC standard is this data quality thing.