Read data from Contrologix by Micrologix 1400

rguimond

Lifetime Supporting Member
Is it possible to use an explicit MSG on a Micrologix 1400 to read data from a Contrologix PLC over Ethernet? I've been playing with it for the past few hours without success. i think the stumbling block is selecting the data table address of the target device. I'm not overly familiar with Contrologix. I assume data tables are addressed similarly to those from Micrologix or SLC PLCs, but I can't figure out the right syntax. I only have to read a few words.

The ControlLogix has a feature that emulates a PLC-5/SLC/MicroLogix Data Table by "mapping" an Array tag to a Data Table number.

Let's say you "map" Data Table 7 to an INT array tag named "SLC_Data[x]"

When a message comes in requesting the contents of "N7:15", the ControlLogix replies with the contents of "SLC_Data[15]".

You configure it in RSLogix 5000, under the Logic menu -> Map PLC/SLC Messages. This has to be done offline in RSLogix 5000.

Optionally, If you can modify the CLGX, You don't have to map the data as the 5000 msg instruction can handle both the new and old formats.

To clarify:

RSLogix 5000 and ControlLogix MSG instructions support both the ControlLogix Tag addressing method and the SLC/PLC/MicroLogix Data Table Addressing method.

If your MSG instruction will be in the ControlLogix, you do not have to configure or use the data table mapping feature. The MSG instruction uses a PLC/SLC/MicroLogix address directly.

PLC-5, SLC-500, and MicroLogix controllers don't know about ControlLogix tag names.

If your MSG instruction is going to be in the MicroLogix 1400, you must create a data table map entry in the ControlLogix.

Sure !

The feature is configured in RSLogix 5000. Select the top-level menu item Logic, then select "Map PLC/SLC Messages" from the pull-down menu.

This "map table" allows you to correlate PLC/SLC style Data Table numbers with ControlLogix style array tags. It supports both 16-bit Integer and 32-bit Floating Point array tags. It does not support complex structures like Timers, Counters, PID, UDT, etc.

When the MicroLogix or SLC-500 or PLC-5 controller sends a message requesting data from a Data Table number that's in this table, the ControlLogix responds with the value of the corresponding Array Tag element.

For example, if I sent a MSG from a MicroLogix to this ControlLogix requesting "N7:10, Length 5", then the ControlLogix would respond with the contents of the Array tag "SLC_Integer_Data[10]" through "SLC_Integer_Data[14]".

PLCSLC_Mapping.jpg