Siemens Smart Server for Remote HMI

dabanani

I have just design a project that suppose to be accessed over the network. the only way i can have the remote HMI working is when my computer IP address is static. for example, HMI is 192.168.4.300 and the computer is 192.168.4.301. How can I keep my computer IP address and dynamic and still be able to access the HMI remotely.

IF you know what is needed to make remote HMI work on both local network and internet, please help.

Thanks.

When you put your IP on automatic, do you get a IP in the same range?

I think that Boneless has hit the nail on the head. IP needs to be able to find a route to the destination network - [URL="dial:<a href='dial:192.168' style='text-decoration: underline'>192.168</a>.4"][URL="dial:192.168"]192.168.4[/URL][/URL] in your case but I'm not sure how you've manage to use 300 and 301 for the endpoints as the usable range is 0 - 255 (1 byte).

When you set the IP address on your PC to Auto then a DHCP server will give it an address from a designated range and it will also set the default gateway. The default gateway is a router and your PC will forward any packets for an unknown network to the router to be routed or forwarded on to the next gateway/router. [URL="dial:192.168"]192.168[/URL].XXX.XXX is classed as a private network range and will not be forwarded by default. If the DHCP server gives you an address in a different network then your PC will not be able to find a route to the HMI.

There are a few ways round this. The best is probably to install a second network card and keep it static in the same range as your HMI. It should also be said that it isn't advisable to mix industrial ethernet traffic with general ethernet traffic.

Another alternative would be to add a static route; either on your PC or at the router. Speak to the IT department and explain what it is you are trying to achieve.

Nick

Thank you all for your help. I was using the IP address as an example not knowing the max is 255. However, having the panel on the manufacturing floor and wired into the local network, the only way I could access the panels remote control is by changing my computer IP address to something similar to that of the panel. So in order to access the panel without changing the IP address of the computer, I need to put a router after the Panel.
Again please confirm this for me.

I want to know what to tell my IT guy to put together in order to have the remote control work on the panel over the internet and intranet.

Once again thanks for your comments.

I see you said that you that you wish the panel to be accessible over the intranet and internet. Intranet access can make sense, but Internet access can be very dangerous. You might want to look at a VPN type device, to protect the internal network and machine. Siemens offers devices such as the S612 which support vpn's, firewalls, and also provide the routing you need. Many other vendors have industrial VPN devices, and your IT guy may have a suitable office solution already in place as well.

A device of this type is often advisable even if you just require intranet access. Most customers like to separate the office and plant networks so that they cannot interfere with each other, and to make it more difficult for an innocent employee or malicious hacker to affect the process.

Thank you,
Do you know if Router does the same function as S612. If possible we can use a router and VPN to access HMI over the internet.

Routing packets between one subnet and another is one feature that a networking device can provide. Acting as a firewall is another. Acting as a VPN end point is a third.

If you are looking at a simple consumer grade wifi access point/router, then it probably does not have VPN functionality. Most devices that can act as a firewall can also route. If a device has VPN functionality, then it can probably do all three. I mentioned the Siemens device because you are already using their HMI, and it is what I am most familiar with. It is good, but many other products exist.

If you aren't familiar with networking, you might want to talk about what options your IT guy recommends.