1771-DB/B Hyperterminal Receive and Send

pcola

I am using Windows XP through Serial Port Comm 1 and have connected to the AB 1771-DB/B with a null modem cable. I am using Hyperterminal to connect.

1200 Baud
8 Data Bits
No Parity
1 Stop Bit
Xon/Xoff Flow Control

Auto Detect Emulation

I can send a Ctrl-Y to put the card into command mode and can see the Transmit and Receive Lights flicker, but no response.

I am connect to PRT1
JW1 - Enabled
JW2 - 8KEEProm
JW3 - Normal
JW4 - PRT1 = Pgm, PRT2 = ASCII, DH485 = Run
JW5 - Backplane
JW6 - 9600
JW7 - Battery Disabled

Which program do I use for Send and Receive? Xmodem, Ymodem, Kermit?

I cannot get any response except putting the card into Command Mode and seeing the XMT/RCT PRT1 lights flicker

Thank you

During transfer use Send Text File.
The basic module will not understand the protocols associated with X or YModem nor Kermit.

Such a long time ago.... over 25 years !!

But I think you just want standard VT100 protocol.

The only other thing I remember vividly about the 1771-DB module was its habit of corrupting variable names, especially names of two letters only. Of course you only discovered this after loading and burning to EPROM the 17 programs needed for the application !!

I am not sure how to send or receive the file. Is there a CALL or ??

Do I have to type the program in line by line?

I am using the VT100 Terminal and I can list the program, RUN the program, but I can't SEND or RECEIVE. I would appreciate any help.

Well you're nearly there then.

Unfortunately it was so long ago the detail has been forgotten.

I would recommend reading the user manual

Edit : If memory serves me right, to retrieve the program you either LIST it or PRINT it to the programming port, and use Hyperterminal to save the output as a file. nA good read of the manual should clear this up....

Last edited:
If you Send a Text file, the DB module will see it exactly as if you were typing it in by hand. You must set up inter-character delay as well as line delays. The delay after each line is crucial since the DB module 'compiles' each line a it is terminated.

As Daba said, you tell HyperTerminal to receive a text file and then type 'LIST' and it will send the file and HyperTerminal will capture it. Afterwards tell HT to stop receiving a file and it will close it.

Yes, it really is archaic and "back door" technology for the DB module...