5000 Series of Control Logix

PLC Pie Guy

Hey there.
I was looking at pricing for a new Control Logix CPU. The price I saw was in exces of $20,000 for a brand new one. What is it that makes these controllers superior to one a few years older to justify that price? Not complaining, but I am just wondering if it has some major functionality that some others don't.
I may look at a second hand part for closer to $8,000.

Thanks

There are a handful of factors that go into the relatively high prices of ControlLogix CPUs.

One is that they are powerful controllers from a market-leading company, so they can charge premium prices. You can do a lot more with a 1756-L63 controller than with a DL-305.

Another is that you're looking at one of the high-end controllers with a special physical chassis (the XT model), and it's one generation out of date. The older controllers are more expensive to build because you often have a limited supply of components.

The current generation of ControlLogix (1756 series, chassis based) are priced from about $5570 USD for the 1756-L71 to about $19,000 for the 1756-L75 controller.

In addtion, RA is saddled with some very old-fashioned list price/discount models that have persisted since the Nixon-era price controls. The standard discount for Qty.1 of a ControlLogix is about 19%. This is very common in large industrial companies... Boeing's actual sell price for airliners is a secret !

Thanks Ken.
I was just curious as the only thing I could find out about this processor is that it is coated to protect against dirt and corrosion and the operating temperature has a much broader range.

Thanks once again!

The XT controllers, chassis, power supplies, and 1756 and 1794 I/O modules all have special heatsinks, thick conformal coating, and wide operating temperature ranges.

Anything that's lower volume and higher spec is going to be a lot more expensive than the standard unit.

If you're losing $50,000 an hour in mill downtime, I guarantee that you'll pay that price. AND the fee to have the RA jet deliver it from Ohio.

I hear you, Ken. Expensive is all relative.

Not my current place of work. But one time we had to hire private charter jet to fly out a $5 capacitor... twice in a day since we burned out the first two replacement. The 3rd time we just call on someone to fly it first class in.

Lesson learned, do NOT do custom control if there are off-the-shelf solution.

I hear you, Ken. Expensive is all relative.

Not my current place of work. But one time we had to hire private charter jet to fly out a $5 capacitor... twice in a day since we burned out the first two replacement. The 3rd time we just call on someone to fly it first class in.

Lesson learned, do NOT do custom control if there are off-the-shelf solution.

WOW! Lesson learned: buy cheap parts in quantities of 3!

Hey there.
I was looking at pricing for a new Control Logix CPU. The price I saw was in exces of $20,000 for a brand new one. What is it that makes these controllers superior to one a few years older to justify that price? Not complaining, but I am just wondering if it has some major functionality that some others don't.
I may look at a second hand part for closer to $8,000.

Thanks

-or- if you can live with V13, you can buy a -L1 processor on eBay for ~$50.00 (I do, all the time)

If you don't need ControlLogix, you can buy CompactLogix for significantly less. If you need to protect the processor, maybe use a good enclosure. Also, if you don't have a "SPA" special pricing agreement with Rockwell, you will pay dearly for not being a regular customer. My company maintains our SPA with Rockwell, which keeps our prices reasonable. But I get the same poor "treatment" from Siemens when I pay obscene money for an S7-300. I think it is a special kind of, "thank you" for making their Porsche payments. Like they say, you might be able to get a better PLC, but you'll never pay more for it!