3d mccm

Usireland

Hi Guys

I am having a problem with an MCCM move in RsLogix 5000 v20. I don't have a problem with the actual implementation of the MCCM but I am having a problem calculating a 3rd point on the arc or the center of the sphere. One of these is necessary to use the MCCM instruction.

Here is what I am trying to do. In the attached PDF you can see a (very poor) drawing of the movements I am trying to do. The 3 linear Movements are not causing any problems however the two curved sections are. Lets focus on the first one (between points B & C) as the second one is pretty much the same just decending.

I have spent most of the afternoon trying to figure out either a 3rd point on the arc or the center of the sphere. However I dont really know how to go about this. My first thought was to create a sphere between Points B & C and generate its equation:

Radius: sqt(1200)
Center: (20,20,30)
Equation: (x - 20)^2 + (y -20)^2 + (z-30)^2 = 1200.

However this gives me 1/2 of a sphere (hemisphere) between the two points where as I actually need 1/4 of a sphere between the two points.

This equation may however be useful, I am not really sure. I cannot give a concrete reason for this but my mind keeps telling me that if a sphere of radius sqt(1200) gives a 1/2 of a sphere between my two points then a sphere of radius spt (2400) should give a 1/4 of a sphere between those two points (assuming a different center). Maybe thats just me thinking in 2d I'm not sure.

So perhaps I have 3 pieces of information about the sphere or perhaps only 2.
My grasp of 3d Trigonometry has been exceeded by the looks of things and I need the help of this forum. Hopefully somebody can help me. I have done this movement in a 2d Pick and Place innumerous times (although without the Y movement only XZ).

Has anyone done anything like this before or can anyone suggest a way to calculate a point on the arc or the center of the sphere?

All help greatfully appreciated
Regards
Ian

z is a constant
let x walk from -radius to 0
calculate the y for it.
btw it is better to use a qudratic as this means a constant accelaration.

first lets assume a straight line.
take the x,y,z with the most steps. for a straight line assume it is the x
take one step with the x, then calculate where the y and z should be.
proceed to next x value and calculate again.
for any other figure you can do above.
a 3d arc is for x and y a straight line and the z is calculated from x and y via the formula you have.
if another pair is the straight line you have to use them, obvious.