Veiwing an Allen Bradley program online in read only

Brian10

Hello all

Seems I am in a strange situation at work.

I myself am very familiar with PLC's and the kind I prefer are Koyo or Automation Direct. The plant I work for full time uses Allen Bradley.

I am electrician at this plant and am alone on the second shift. When things go wrong my first inclination is to look at the program but my supervisor thinks that if I do I could potentially alter the programs (the programs on some of the machines are quite large).

Is it possible to view Allen Bradley programs at run time in read only so that I could view the program and not alter or be blamed for altering the program.

Or do I need to find a better job?

Please help

Brian,
To answer your questions:
1) Do you know what models of Allen Bradley PLC are installed?
Depends on the model and software to programme the PLC, you can have some read-only access, or other limited privileges.
2) You can also have setup a process change log, where you record any changes you have to make to get the plant running - either temporary or permanent, and if need be, the "management" can approve these changes before implementin them permanently.
3) There is also software that can track version changes in PLC code.
4) There is also something called "trust" that works very well between employees and employers, in that as a competent employee, you understand what you are doing in your area of responsibility, hence why the employer employed you.... Blame should not come into it. If "trust" does not exist, and "blame" does still exist, then - yes look for a better job!

Keyswitch in RUN mode, and then the supervisor removes the key and keeps it ?
(Can be defeated, but it lets the supervisor think he is in control).

+1 what John said about trust.

Apart from that, IMO PLC and HMI programs should be written so that every conceivable error condition should be indicated on the HMI with a meaningful and understandable explanation. Having to look into the program to find errors means it is not fully developed.

The Models are; (2) SLC5/05, (2) PLC5/80, (1) Logix 5561.

Sound like good advise from the both of you I greatly appreciate the help.

Only problem I can think of with removing the key is if I have to change a thermocouple input card on the PLC5(S). I have been told that after inserting the new card I have to switch from run to program then back to run for the change to take effect. However removing the key when it is in run mode may be a great idea for the other PLC's.

That said seems to me that second and third shift electricians at plants all around face a similar situations. Is there any other options?

Again thanks much for the help.

Brian

Keeping the key in RUN mode prevents changing the code "inadvertently" which is what your supervisor seem to be concerned about.

I like to leave the key in the processor though, at some point it will be handy. As for your thermocouple situation, power cycling the SLC would have the same affect as cycling from program and back to run mode, so you could remove the key. Personally, I would leave the keys in the processors and show the people concerned that they are in RUN mode, explain that changing the logic is not allowed in this mode so it can't happen by accident. I would leave out the part about still being able to change data and timers...Your programs are not going to be accidentally changed, and if you are really worried about sneaking programmers, then take away the keys and see if that stops them...