Looking for label printer. Must be small and portable.

JesperMP

Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
Hej !

I have just purchased a Dymo Labelmanager 420P. It is a label printer that has both keyboard and display, and can attach to a PC via USB.
The ability to connect to USB is important to me. So I can print out labels by lists in Excel.
But I am disappointed how big it is. It is bigger than a big multimeter, and you need a charger and a USB cable with the fat USB-B plug (meaning: yet another cable in the bag). I hate that I have to pack all this just because may need to print out a few labels.

I am thinking:
Does there exist some label printer that is small, powered via USB, controlled entirely by a PC application and USB ?
I have tried to see what Dymo and Brother have, but nothing really fits my requirements.

Jesper,

Did you look at the Dymo LabelManager PnP?
It's under their desktop printers, so you might have missed it?
Here's a small brochure.

Here's the link to it on their website...Dymo LabelManager PnP

If it's small enough, it does everything you're looking for...

No screen or keyboard.
Powered and recharged from USB.
Built-in software loads when plugged in.
Prints from Excel, Word, etc.

Regards,
George

We use the brady BMP21. Seems to work very well.
They seem to be the same size as the one I have already.

Did you look at the Dymo LabelManager PnP?
It's under their desktop printers, so you might have missed it?
Here's a small brochure.
Actually I did take a look at it, but decided for the 420P because I local supplier had that one, and not the PnP model.
the PnP model looks a bit smaller than the 420P, if not drastically smaller. Maybe I go for that one in the end.

I am open for alternative suggestions if there is something really small.

I find the Brady BMP21 to my liking more than the dymo rhino. You can get heat shrinkable sleeves, nylon, cloth, and more. The thermal transfer makes for years and years of readable print. It runs on AA batteries or a wall wart. Using it is pretty self exploratory, no book needed. They are pretty rugged too, dropped mine more than once. I have used it for some medium sized jobs where the print from a list option, which it does not have, would have been useful, it only has serial print options. For that, you break out the office model you already have, which, like you said, is not much smaller, but you would find the ID Pal really user friendly for small jobs, emergency legend plates or device labels for your panel back plate in banner mode. The BMP21 is good for maintenance crews to have around too for wiring repairs and mods. The latest version has smart cartridge ID so that menu is removed, and they added a backlight which is very handy.

Last edited:
I'm also a big fan of the BMP21. The labels are costly but work very well for smaller jobs. The cloth labels are easy to read and stay on even very small wires extremely well.

I also have a Brother PT-1230PC which is PC only. It has a fairly good assortment of labels although it's a very low cost unit and the software is not the best. I picked mine up for $ 20.00 a few months ago. It handles 3.5-12mm label widths only.

Hi
Interesting, I am on the lookout for a handheld that can print slid on cable markers. We currently have a Partex unit that is too big for site use. Does anyone use one for printing to pvc non shrink sleeves? If it can print traditional tape that would be a bonus

Hi
Interesting, I am on the lookout for a handheld that can print slid on cable markers. We currently have a Partex unit that is too big for site use. Does anyone use one for printing to pvc non shrink sleeves? If it can print traditional tape that would be a bonus

The sleeves I use with the Brady are heat shrinkable, but I most often leave them as loose fitting sleeves which are flat, captive and reusable.

Polyolefin material.

http://www.amazon.com/Brady-M21-187-C-342-Permasleeve-Heat-Shrink-PermaSleeve/dp/B003XU7T2G

We have a Brady BMP 51 here. I would like to use excel to make the labels. I am having trouble creating an excel template that will work with the our Brady. Does anybody know how I could get a template for excel for the MC-187-342 sleeve?