possibilty of redundancy in L16 compact logix controller

nipkap

hi, this is my first post in this forum,
i have bought two L16ER controllers and initially i was told that the PLC supports the redundancy, but afterwards we were not able to get HOT redundancy.So, i was in a doubt that does it support redundancy or not and if supports what has to be done for it

Welcome to the Forum !

The confusion may have come from the presence of a Device-Level Ring (DLR) Ethernet port on the controller.

Because the DLR Ethernet architecture can tolerate a single broken cable in the ring, someone may have considered that to be a "Redundant" feature, even though it is more properly called a "fault tolerant" feature.

The only platforms that Rockwell Automation designs, advertises, sells, and supports for Redundancy are the Allen-Bradley ControlLogix Redundancy system and the ICS Triplex AADvance and Trusted controllers.

There is a CompactLogix based architecture that provides "hot backup" of controllers using DeviceNet networking, but it is not a true "Redundant" system because it does not support most of the features that a Redundant system would need, including automatic data table crossloading, bumpless transfer of control outputs, automatic edit crossloading, integrity checking, and fault-tolerant networking.

The CompactLogix DeviceNet hot backup requires a controller that supports the 1769-SDN DeviceNet Scanner, like the 1769-L30ER.

The 1769-L16ER is the smallest CompactLogix controller and uses the 1734 POINT architecture, not the 1769 Compact architecture.

thanks for the reply

if hardware redundancy is not possible then does software redundancy work on it and if yes then how to get it done