Touch Panel PC software design

arbj

Hi,

I am not sure if this is the right place to post a question about touch panel PC software development.

I am trying to develop the control software for a motion control system (also designed by us), the software would run on a touch panel PC, additional hardware connected to the PC would interface to the external devices.

Since there wont be any other applications running on the PC, is it OK to run the application in full screen so that operators cannot access other software ??

Should I configure the PC to run my control software by default on startup ??

Please also provide some pointers in the general look and feel of the software as this is my first software development (on touch panel PC) for industrial use.

thanks
a

IMHO:
This would only be okay if you are supplying both the PC and application.
If you are supplying only the App it will need to be run on any PC in which case you should not take full control of it like that.

If you supply both, I recommend using a "tablet" type PC with embedded OS, then limit it to your app only.

As to what it looks like, search the internet to see how your competitors do theirs, and make yours look better. :)

Last edited:
Thanks RussB and JesperMP for the tips.

Most of the TouchPanel PCs I see do not have any battery backup of any kind. The products that I see on the internet run mostly on Windows CE, Embedded Compact 7, and Ubuntu.

Isn't a battery backup is essential for a Touch Panel PC to prevent disk crashes ??
Should this also be supplied as a part of the equipment or will the customer provide a backup??

An industrial tablet on the other hand has an in-built battery so is better..

thanks
a