ControlNet question

busarider29

Lifetime Supporting Member
I'm specking out requirements/costs for a new machine to be built later this year. I plan on using Controllogix for the PLC control. My question is in regards to the network and what I need and what I don't need. I am using EthernetIP and have the module for that. Would there be any reason that I might also want a ControlNet module card as well?? I will be using PowerFlex 750 drives but they are Ethernet/IP and I already have the Ethernet module. Would there be any benefit or need to have the ControlNet module as well?

Thanks

I would not use Controlnet in a new system. There are very few applications where you would need Controlnet vs Ethernet and I doubt this is one of them.

I would stick with ethernet as much as possible.

I use ControlNet for a few applications, including very long cable runs, absolute I/O repeatability, compatibility and interfaces with older controllers, and ControlLogix Redundancy with media redundancy.

But for most other applications, EtherNet/IP is more flexible, easier to troubleshoot, and has equivalent or better performance.

We keep all of our drives and I/O on ControlNet simply to prevent the IT department from &^*(ing up our equipment.

If you don't control your own Ethernet network, I advise against using it for any control purposes.

When it comes to VFDs and MCCs, I would take ControlNet over EtherNet/IP.
ControlNet media was designed to be in industrial applications, EtherNet/IP media is trying to get there.

Interesting, gurus saying the opposite, which would l believe , hym hym. Decision to the 1 paying the bucks (maybe the more prudent investment).

I use Ethernet I/P for most applications. We keep the ethernet media and switches local to the process to avoid the "&^*(ing up our equipment." issue rdrast mentioned!

We keep all of our drives and I/O on ControlNet simply to prevent the IT department from &^*(ing up our equipment.

If you don't control your own Ethernet network, I advise against using it for any control purposes.

I came from IT - and now I'm in systems integration - and I can definitely see how frustrating it is dealing with corporate IT who try to dictate their policies onto a production network that they (often) have little to nothing to do with!

True story.