AB 1794 Aent ethernet adapter prob..

Robert_Pierce

can anyone give me an idea why I cant disable the bootp protocol when I assign an IP to the 1794 Aent ethernet module the mask is 255 255 255 and the pc mask is 255 255 255 The IP that im trying to give it is 172 . 21. xx. xxx...... I'm using the AB bootp server utility with the MAC adress but cant win ????

This is not uncommon. Once you have the IP set, shut down the bootP utility and then find your device in RSLinx. From there I think you can right click, configure device, and try to turn off BootP that way. I have occasionally had it take several attempts to successfully turn off BootP, and I have a habit of exiting and going back in to make sure it worked and shows to be off before I cycle power. Another thought is to try the device webpage, I am not sure if those options are visible or editable there or not, just an idea.

This is the procedure we used on a project I just finished

Setup of 1794-AENT IP Address

• 1. Disable all unused PC NIC ports

• 2. Set PC NIC port IP configuration to “Obtain an IP address automatically”

• 3. If the AENT module already has an IP address but it needs to be reset, power off the AENT, set the rotary dip switches to 888 and switch on AENT again. The Module Status LED will slowly flash RED when factory reset is complete. Power OFF again. Set switches back to 999 and power on again.

• 4. Note AENT MAC address.

• 5. Open BOOTP application (If BOOTP does not want to open because the PC NIC does not have an IP address yet, manually assign any IP address, start BOOTP and then repeat step 2)

• 6. Under, Menu, “Tools”, “Network Settings”, change the Subnet to 255.0.0.0

• 7. BOOTP should now scan the network for this device. If nothing happens, change the PC NIC port IP address to the same network range as what the AENT will be set to. Subnet 255.0.0.0

• 8. BOOTP should pick up something by now.

• 9. If found, cycle power on the AENT to ensure that the network is in tact.

• 10. Clear the History on the BOOTP “Request History” window.

• 11. BOOTP should resolve the MAC as soon as it comes back online again.

• 12. Select and Click the AENT MAC address. This should now be shown in the “Resolution window” below the “Request History” window.

• 13. Double click on the MAC.

• 14. Enter the desired IP address.

• 15. Select and then click the [Disable BOOTP/DHCP] button. The MAC must be selected before this button can be presses, and chances are very good that you will need to repeat this process a few times. Just keep at it, it will resolve.

• 16. The Status feedback right at the bottom of the BOOTP application will read as follow:[DISABLE BOOTP] Command Successful

• 17. Close the BOOTP application

• 18. Reset the PC NIC adapter Subnet mask to 255.255.255.0

• 19. Start RSLinx (This step is important) BOOTP DOES NOT DISABLE THE BOOTP AND YOU NEED TO FIX THAT ERROR WITH RSLINX SETUP

• 20. Scan the network (RSWho) for this newly configured AENT. (Ensure you have the correct RSLinx driver. Check under “Configure Drives” The IP of the NIC will be shown)

• 21. Click on the AENT, select, RHMB, “Module Configuratoin”

• 22. TAB “Port Configuration”

• 23. Fix the subnet mask to 255.255.255.0 [Apply]

• 24. A “Download Configuration” pop-up window will appear. When done [OK] on “Configuration” window.

• 25. Reset PC NIC ports as required for normal operation

This is not uncommon. Once you have the IP set, shut down the bootP utility and then find your device in RSLinx. From there I think you can right click, configure device, and try to turn off BootP that way. I have occasionally had it take several attempts to successfully turn off BootP, and I have a habit of exiting and going back in to make sure it worked and shows to be off before I cycle power. Another thought is to try the device webpage, I am not sure if those options are visible or editable there or not, just an idea.

Work great for me!
Many thanks!

I really hate BootP it never seems to work right the first time. I don't think you can set the IP from a webpage, that would be pretty nice though.

It the case for a 1754 (Point I/O).
But, in the 1796-AENT, the browser page is read only (if not, tell me, I dreamed about it every time I use Bootp!)

Your PC must be on the same network as the device to which you have just assigned an IP address, otherwise you won't be able to send the Disable BOOTP command as I believe the disable command is layer 3 even though it uses layer 2 to assign the IP.

Example scenario:
PC IP is 192.168.0.2 (or more likely 169.254.x.x if you have DHCP enabled).
Device with BOOTP enabled is detected and given the address 10.0.0.2 which you have assigned.
You click on Disable BOOTP but this fails as you are not on the same network.
Change PC IP to 10.0.0.1, send disable BOOTP command it it will now work since you're on the same layer 3 network.