Ferrule Colors

Tim Ganz

I want to start using Ferrules in my panels but the thing is the DIN standard has a certain color for a certain size which means you may have a blue ferrule on a red wire or a grey ferrule on a white wire, tec. and that makes the panel not look good in my opinion.

I don't know about using uninsulated ferrules as it defats have touch safe terminals on devices.

I wish someone made ferrules that had each color for each wire size. I know that would not conform to the DIN standard but it sure would make panels look better.

Hi
here in the uk we typically can choose from DIN (German) or French ferrules. We use DIN

I would say some committee of clever guys dreamed up the colours for a good reason, as with many standards. It is easier to bend with the wind than to run into it lol

Agree - just use what is provided under DIN. You must remember that the colour of the wire does not matter - the point of the colour coding for the pins is so that someone can instantly pick up the right sized pin for the cable. Someone can also instantly have a look and see if you have used the right sized pins.

the color of the ferrule is indeed size dependent, to overcome your problem use a bigger one and for the smaller cables put the wire in double.
you can also use twins, they are same color, but double size.
A better way of coding is to use colored shrink tube with the wirenumber on, or any other coding system.
As these ferrules go in deep, very hard to see color.
btw, if using cageclamp terminals do not use them, just put in the wire.