Pico controler

roxusa

Lifetime Supporting Member
I need a controller with a 4 digit readout for position. Does the screen on a PICO
function as a read out or is it for programming only.
My current project requires forward and reverse of a small 12 vdc motor, and feed back of 2 pulse per revolution. the display is for position only.
I am currently building my own with an ICM7217 presetable- programable, up/down counter-4 digit display driver.
I could do much more with a small PLC such as move to next position automatically, currently I only have manual move with readout
Each machine has 2 of these so I could use only one PLC if I had 2 different HMI or some type of read out, looking for small since space is critical in the area that it is mounted on machine. Any ideas are appreciated.

just guessing from memory here but I believe the "D" instructions can handle simple displaying, I'm going to check. Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

Edit:
Look in the help section of the software for Text Display and Text Elements info. It has some basic explanations on how the "D" output works.

Last edited:
If you have a PICO with revision B on it you can do simple displays. It can show predetermined text, counter values, and timer values. The 4 way button can also be used as inputs for control of the PICO also.

Thank Yo, I will pick up a PICO controller and test, I tried to download the software from AB but keep getting a Java error, I updated my Java but still happens. Tried a couple of other sites for free download but just got a bunch of advertisements. I read that the PICO can be programmed on through the display so I will have to test that way.

just FYI:
The Pico is set for obsolescence, the replacement is a Micro 810. You can get an LCD readout for it as well, the 2080-LCD, which like the Pico, attaches to the front of the controller.
2080_M810Controller_front1--lgprod.jpg

The Micro820 and up, slightly larger than the 810 / Pico, can have a remote panel mounted display called the 2080-REMLCD.
2080-LC20-20QBB_Micro820_front1--lgprod.jpg
list_2080REMLCD_F.jpg

From what my distributer told me a few months ago, the 2080-REMLCD only works with the Micro820. It isn't supported on the Micro830 and Micro850. This may change in the future (I hope so). If it does, please update this thread.

Last edited:
Does the screen on a PICO function as a read out or is it for programming only?
It can be set up to function as a read-out for Counter or timer accumulated values. You can display 2 counter values on each screen, and switch between screens using the panel buttons.

The Moeller-Eaton EZ devices work the same way.