SLC 505 network choices

Tackdriver

Hello,
I have a lot of SLC racks in my plant. The ones we will be discussing all have 505 processors and communicate with Flex IO over the Remote IO network. I have been informed that the Remote IO will not be supported anymore in a year give or take. So my gut reaction was to start migrating to ControlNet, but I have now found that the 1747 ControlNet module has gone silver. I need a network that is deterministic, so that rules out Ethernet IP.
ControlLogix is coming but it is relatively far out, and I do not wish to have a bunch of silver stuff in the factory until then.

Any ideas?

Ethernet/IP is deterministic.
There are some geeks that discuss at length if Ethernet/IP is really deterministic, but for replacement of RIO network, you can safely switch to Ethernet/IP.

It just dawned on me that maybe you mean the Ethernet/IP that the SL5/05 CPU supports by the integrated ethernet port. If that is the case, then you cannot count on connecting I/O via this port and Ethernet/IP. For this you need the 1747-AENTR module.
And yes, the 1747-AENTR is a bit expensive so maybe you should consider to migrate to a newer platform rather than get temporary relief.

If you want to keep the SLC500's you might want try DNet instead of the RIO that you have now, the SLC505 does not support IO on ethernet, as CNet is going silver for SLC's and RIO will follow soon, it really only leaves you with DNet.

Hopefully someone will come along and correct me.

Alan

the SLC505 does not support IO on ethernet,
It does, via the 1747-AENTR module, just like the 1747-SN module that the PLC is equipped with at the moment to handle RIO. Wrong !

That said, I think it is better to plan to do a complete switchover to something newer, than sinking more money into an SLC500 based system.

Last edited:
I'd ignore rumors of the imminent demise of RIO and run the SLCs as they are until such time as you upgrade the entire PLC systems.

Salesmen want to sell. End users should only want their systems to operate as designed.

That said, I think it is better to plan to do a complete switchover to something newer, than sinking more money into an SLC500 based system.

This.

Why pay and invest in something that is old and outdated? Spend the necessary funds to upgrade to a new more robust platform. The initial cost might be a higher - but long term it's the way to go.

Of course, that's my opinion - but I would MUCH rather put money into new hardware than buy older legacy components to support an existing infrastructure.

Jesper so how does the 1747-AENTR that plugs into slot zero let a SLC505 that you have removed to fit allow the 505 talk to ethrnet IO.

As far as I know the 1747-AENTR is used to let a ControlLogix use 1746 IO, by replacing the SLC processor with the 1747-AENTR.

1747-AENTR can only be installed in slot zero according to the manual.

Alan

Jesper so how does the 1747-AENTR that plugs into slot zero let a SLC505 that you have removed to fit allow the 505 talk to ethrnet IO.

As far as I know the 1747-AENTR is used to let a ControlLogix use 1746 IO, by replacing the SLC processor with the 1747-AENTR.

1747-AENTR can only be installed in slot zero according to the manual.

Alan
You are absolutely right, and I was wrong. Dont know how I got the idea that the 1747-AENTR can install as a "scanner" in an SLC rack. (I probably was thinking about the 1756-ENBT that is both scanner/adapter.)

To switchover to Ethernet/IP would mean that also the SLC CPU would have to be replaced by the 1747-AENTR, and some other Ethernet/IP scanner would then have to be in control.

Tackdriver said:
...I have been informed that the Remote IO will not be supported anymore in a year give or take...

Bit_Bucket_07 is correct, the end is not nigh!

Q: "How long will the SLC Family of processors be sold and supported?"

Paul Kohntopp said:
We are committed to selling & supporting SLCs into the next decade!

Rockwell Automation appreciates your investment in the Allen-Bradley SLC 500, and we will continue to protect that investment. We offer a complete range of SLC 500 products for sale to service a wide variety of applications. And we continue to invest in the SLC 500 architecture. Our most recent additions include an Enhanced 5/05 CPU with 10/100 Mbps, increase connections, and embedded web server capability. Other additions include DF1 Radio Modem Compatibility for SLC 5/03, 5/04 and 5/05, the 1747-DPS1 Port Splitter, and the 1747-UIC Universal Serial Port (USB) to Data Highway-485 Interface Converter.

We plan to actively market and manufacture the SLC 500 product line well into the next decade. This line will continue to service those small to mid-range PLC applications where high performance and a wide variety of communication networks and I/O structures are important.

Allen-Bradley plans to continue to offer hardware/firmware upgrades and repair of SLC 500 Family products. Protecting our customers’ investment is a significant reason we have an installed base over 1.6 million CPU and over 12 million 1746 I/O installations world-wide. Furthermore, it is our practice to support products for seven years from the date they are removed from general sale, pending availability of components.

To give you some idea of our commitment to our customers, the 1772 Series PLC-2 family, which was introduced in 1979, was removed from sale in 2002. That is a product life in excess of twenty years. While we cannot predict component availability and market forces for the SLC 500 that would allow us to do the same, we are committed to the sale and support of the SLC 500 family for the foreseeable future.

I hope that this brief correspondence will give you some idea of Allen-Bradley’s commitment to providing a quality automation product and commitment to the SLC 500 product line.

Best regards,
Paul Kohntopp
Control Platforms (SLC/PLC) Business Manager
Automation Control and Information Group
Rockwell Automation / Allen-Bradley

If you have a lot of SLC chassis and want to migrate to a ControlLogix platform at some point in the future, I would suggest, space allowing, that you hold onto the chassis as Remote I/O racks. Then use the aforementioned 1747-AENTR to connect the SLC I/O to your Logix processors via 1756-EN2TR, or similar, through the Logix backplane. The cost of the 1747-AENTR would, or should, out-weight the cost of rewiring your SLC I/O over to Logix I/O modules, not to mention the time saved.

As mentioned, the 1747-AENTR replaces the SLC controller in slot 0 of each rack; converting them to Remote I/O chassis only.

In a typical setup, the 1747-AENTR is configured as a child adapter module to the 1756-EN2TR. It acts as a CIP gateway server between the SLC backplane and Ethernet/IP. You must connect to the 1747-AENTR via an Ethernet/IP router (1756-ENxTx) in the Logix backplane, and not the Logix controllers embedded Ethernet port. This then allows for Explicit messaging and control of the SLC chassis I/O, and the Remote Flex I/O connected to the SLC chassis.

This is typically what the 1747-AENTR is designed to do, and this particular migration method is fully supported by Rockwell.

If, of course, you have the time, money, and inclination, then by all means fully convert the SLC hardware over to Logix based platforms when you are good and ready, but I would hold fire on spending any money in the interim just to buy more SLC based hardware, purely in fear of lack of support/availablility, that will then become redundant to your needs when you do finally make the leap.

Regards,
George

Last edited:
It sounds like your principal concern is future availability of the 1747-SN and the 1794-ASB.

The 1747-SN is an Active production module with no Silver date, but the 1794-ASB will go out of active production in March 2015.

So the question is: "How many 1794-ASB failures do I expect between now and when I migrate to ControlLogix ?"

The good news is that the 1794-ASB is very mature and very popular. There are thousands of them in the gray market. And every one you convert to 1794-AENTR or 1794-ACNR becomes another spare for your own inventory !