ftpget from ControlLogix?

JamesL

Hi, me again. I've got my ControlLogix furnace running decent now, thanks to the folks here who've helped me along so far.

So, yes, a new question: at the end of my cycle I have a VB program that would reach back with rslinxpe to the PLC5 and grab all the stored alarm & machine data and move it to local txt files then sql load to oracle.

It would take a couple minutes, now it takes forever~ like 45 minutes for very short runs. (and actually typically times out/fails).

Below is some of the basic code (you can see I tried rem out the old ":%d" for [%d], no improvement).
I'm hoping there is a simple syntax issue that someone will recognize...

****some of the code below***

'*****Extract Alarm data from PLC******
'* open ftp connection to rslinxpe *'
conRet = Connect_To_Server("localhost", "user", "furnftp")
If bActiveSession = True Then
'* Issue Get command for all alarm data *'
'* Create alarm00.txt through alarm02.txt *'
For X = 0 To 1
tmpStr = Format(X, "00")
getRet = Get_Data("RAW/N7" & tmpStr & "[%d],0,1000", "alarm" & tmpStr & ".txt")
'was getRet = Get_Data("RAW/N7" & tmpStr & ":%d,0,1000", "alarm" & tmpStr & ".txt")
DoEvents
Next X
getRet = Get_Data("RAW/N702[%d],0,200", "alarm02.txt")
'was getRet = Get_Data("RAW/N702:%d,0,200", "alarm02.txt")
'* close ftp connection to driver *'
clsRet = Disc_Fr_Server
Else
blnConnect2Failed = True
End If

****end of some of the code above***

Last edited:
Maybe you can connect once when the VB app starts and only closes upon program termination:

this could improve things.

Or you could time some of the operations using the TickTimer:
tmrTiming= GetTickCount
<perform some operation here>
resultTime = GetTickCount - tmrTiming

this may help identify long winded operations ...

At the risk of sounding like an unhelpful newbie: what is "rslinxpe" ?

I'm familiar with using Visual Basic and RSLinx Classic, but I don't see any of the DDEInitiate or DDERequest commands I am accustomed to.

Maybe you can connect once when the VB app starts and only closes upon program termination:

this could improve things.

Or you could time some of the operations using the TickTimer:
tmrTiming= GetTickCount
<perform some operation here>
resultTime = GetTickCount - tmrTiming

this may help identify long winded operations ...

Cool, I'll look into that tomorrow and see if it helps. Thanks!

At the risk of sounding like an unhelpful newbie: what is "rslinxpe" ?

I'm familiar with using Visual Basic and RSLinx Classic, but I don't see any of the DDEInitiate or DDERequest commands I am accustomed to.

Now, now, I'M he newbie here. ; )
I thought initially that is was some compact rslinx add-on or standalone or something and someone would see a little syntax tweak I needed for the new clx plc... but now I think it might be a local/custom ftp server or something written by my predecessors for this datacollection/fetch task -

I didn't see much regarding this in Internet searches, sounds like not a common thing to use ftp to copy plc data to flat/txt files?