Analog Output Modules

rj061991

hi! ... i have few questions about analog modules i hope that you can help me..

..can i monitor the analog output in plc???..
.. do i need to have analog input modules to be able to use the analog output??..
..i am currently doing a project and i would like the speed of the motor to be adjustible using plc program....do you have any idea on how can i do this??

Thank You very much for you help!!!!

..can i monitor the analog output in plc???.. Yes
..do i need to have analog input modules to be able to use the analog output??.. No, but you would only be able to ajust the output via altering the analog output by internal code so it would be awkward to adjust and a bit pointless.
..i am currently doing a project and i would like the speed of the motor to be adjustible using plc program....do you have any idea on how can i do this?? that is what the anolog output would be used for, to send a signal to a VSD, or send the speed control directly to the VSD and not have a PLC.
What PLC?
What is going to control the speed. You would normal have a speed reference (0-10vdc,4-20 ma) going to an analog input/scale/then output to a device or display.

What is going to control the speed?
How do you think you are going to control the speed?
Why are you trying to control the speed?
Is this a 1 or 3 phase motor of what KW. Please provide all the spec's instead of me having to ask all the questions

im controlling a #phase servo motor with servo driver..i want to control the accuracy of the motor...where making a bacon slicer machine..im trying to adjust the analog output using hmi..

Last edited:
would it not be sensible to explain all this first up, instead of us trying to guess what you are trying to do?

Search this site for Siemens scaling.
The answer is here. I posted the question about 7 years ago

..can i monitor the analog output in plc???..

Yes. You will actually determine the value of the analog output by means of your program logic. The analog output will respond to the numerical value that your program places in the output module's particular channel address.

.. do i need to have analog input modules to be able to use the analog output??..

No. Analog inputs are used to measure variable signal levels generated by instruments. You may build a PLC system with only analog inputs, only analog outputs, or with neither. Analog inputs and analog outputs are independent of one another.

..i am currently doing a project and i would like the speed of the motor to be adjustible using plc program....do you have any idea on how can i do this??

Sure. Simply have an operator enter the desired speed via an HMI and then move that value to the appropriate analog output channel (the one that is connected to the variable speed drive's speed reference input) within your PLC program. You may need to scale the value that is entered via the HMI to a value that is appropriate for your analog output module's configuration. You will also need to verify that the variable speed drive is configured for the same signal levels for it's external speed reference input as your analog output module is configured to generate.