Trouble Communicating with 22-comm-3 to powerflex 40

Handcraftedsince87

Lifetime Supporting Member
We're setting up feed screws to run on VFD's. I'm getting everything set up on a test bench just to make sure everything can communicate properly before we install them at shutdown. I was able to get online and connect to one drive with the 22 comm e card over Ethernet/ip.. But when it came time to try and drive 2 other drives off of that one comm e card, I'm getting some errors I can't seem to resolve. I'm pretty sure I have the rj45 adapters, cables, and resistors for the DSI network, and all the parameters in the drive set up correctly. It'll go online to the program, but has an I/O fault for the drive. When I try to connect to the drive online, It comes back with a "error code 16 #0144 electronic keying mismatch. (attached screen shot) I'm understanding this to mean firmware revisions that can't communicate.. But I'm not sure which piece of the puzzle is the problem since it was working before. Hoping someone can at least point me in a new direction to look at as I've tried everything I could come up with. Please let me know if there's any other screen shots or info that would help lead in the right direction. Thanks in advance

Last edited:
You've clearly already done this, but just for future readers info:

When you are running just one drive from a 22-COMM-E, you set it up for "Single Drive Mode". When you daisy-chain additional drives via DSI, you set it up for "Multi-Drive Mode". This is a DIP switch setting on the 20-COMM-E itself, described on page 2-2 of the User Manual.

When the 22-COMM-E is in Multi-Drive Mode, the functionality of the device profile object (the Drive tab in the first screenshot) changes. I think the actual Device Code in the Identity object changes too.

To change your RSLogix 5000 project from a 22-COMM-E in Single-Drive Mode to a 22-COMM-E in Multi-Drive Mode, you'll have to delete the 22-COMM-E that's in your I/O tree now and replace it with a "PowerFlex 4-class Multi-E" object.

I had the same problem and it was thePowerFlex 40's DSI stopped working, other than that the drive was fine. Replaced the drive and it fixed the problem and used the drive elsewhere on an application that did not require DSI Comm.

Re-installing the right 22-comm-E card into the I/O tree did the trick. I was looking for a multiple drive card but was looking for something like "40-m-e" not "4 class multiple". It was staring me in the face but I didn't recognize it. I can now connect to the drives, however, I have 3 drives total. 0, 1, and 2. 0 being the master with the Ethernet card. It refuses to see anything in port 1. The addresses seem to be configured correctly in the drives and in the 22-comm-e parameters, but no matter what I do, it either forces me to change the project when I connect, or if I try to match the drive in the comm card setup then it deletes the drive in port 1. Port 2 seems to work fine. Have a few screen shots.

Thank you for the info Ken. I've read quite a number of your posts on this forum and I think I speak for a few people when I say you've helped us out of a jam. Thank you for going above and beyond and helping us on the site less familiar with AB.

untitled1.jpg untitled.jpg

Just saw the other post about the defective DSI on the drive. I have a couple more spare drives. They were factory sealed when I opened them, but I will swap it out with another and see if that doesn't help.

Thanks!

Edit: Changed VFD, and parameters. Same issue.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear that replacing the VFD didn't fix your problem. In our situation I had also replaced the 22-COMM-E with a newer one when I replaced the drive also but couldn't get it to work nor was I successful in flashing the firmware so I reinstalled the old 22-COMM-E with the new drive and it worked.
I never revisited the 22-COMM-E problem yet to see what the problem was.