Declare a function in STL

mspath

Hello Folks:
I'm trying to create a function that takes an DINT to dynamically set the range to a random number generator.
Below is the code, I commented out the section I thought would create it as a function.
Thanks for any help!

(*
FUNCTION RandNum
VAR_IN
iMax : DINT;
END_VAR
*)
GSV(Program, MainProgram, LASTSCANTIME, iLastScanTime);
GSV(WallClockTime, , LocalDateTime, arMyTime[0]);
myTime.Microsecond := arMyTime[6];
dRes := SIN(iLastScanTime * myTime.Microsecond);
dRandom := ABS(dRes * 7);

//END_FUNCTION

Random is hard to do by program.
I once made some similar to this but then I only needed a random number every 1 or 10 sec. I cant quite remember, so this is reconstructed out of my memory and not tested.
Make sure it is not called from a periodic Task.

Random Will change every scan but there will be a pattern especially if you need a random number every scan.
Not before 4 scan it will work.

Not perfect but it did the trick for me

1. Read system time in microSec
2. BSL 8 Random
3. Masked move to the last 8 bit of randem

Random.PNG

I think you are trying to do something that is not supported by AB structured text. You can't declare functions like you can in the CoDeSys stuff. The closest thing in AB is to create an Add-On Instruction (AOI) in structured text and call that from another routine.

Keith

mspath needs to come back and tell us for sure but I don't think he is asking how to code a random number generator. I think he is asking how to declare a function in an AB Logix processor.

Keith