ControlNet error code 16#0204

mehtab.hassan

Hi Guys,
I am having a problem with my ControlNet. I tried to remove a module from a IO chaissis all IO modules stopped communicating with controlNet. I get an error 16#0004 Connection Request Error: Bad segment on the CN2R. Any ideas? I've tried everything that I could think of.

I am using a ControlLogix 1756-L61 processor with a 1756 CN2R controlnet card. I have one 1756-IF16, two 1756-IB32, one 1756-OW16I and one extra CN2R module in last slot of IO rack.

Thanks,

thanks for reply yes i have downloaded rsnetwork file again but its not work. when i give a power cycle to system all modules led goes green.

thanks for reply yes i have downloaded rsnetwork file again but its not work. when i give a power cycle to system all modules led goes green.

Downloading the existing RSNetworx file will not work, because it has the module in the schedule that you want to remove.

You have to use RSNetworx the re-schedule the network as it stands with the module taken out.

Bear in mind that re-scheduling the network will put the processor into program mode, so choose a suitable time when it is safe to do it.

Downloading the existing RSNetworx file will not work, because it has the module in the schedule that you want to remove.

You have to use RSNetworx the re-schedule the network as it stands with the module taken out.

Bear in mind that re-scheduling the network will put the processor into program mode, so choose a suitable time when it is safe to do it.

🤞🏻
Hello, i experienced the same problem. When i ran my RsLogix5000, "code16#0204". i have replaced ControlNet Card, backplane, and yet still error code persists.

My PLC is currently using L7 controller.

Appreciated if you can share the method to re-schedule network using RsNetworks.

I await your reply.

Thank you.
Donald
Malaysia.

🤞🏻
Hello, i experienced the same problem. When i ran my RsLogix5000, "code16#0204". i have replaced ControlNet Card, backplane, and yet still error code persists.

My PLC is currently using L7 controller.

Appreciated if you can share the method to re-schedule network using RsNetworks.

I await your reply.

Thank you.
Donald
Malaysia.

16#0204 error is "Connection Request Error" (timeout) - the controller is trying to establish communications with a module, and is unable to do so.

On what module are you getting the error ? Can you post a screenshot of your expanded I/O Configuration tree.

If you have replaced your ControlNet module, is is possible that it is a different firmware revision number to the module installed in the application's I/O configuration. In this case you can change the module revision in the project, but you will then have to download the project to the controller.

Once you have your IO Ok status, it is possible that you may not have to re-schedule the network, but if you do have to, you will be told by a different error code in the module properties "Connection" tab.

16#0204 error is "Connection Request Error" (timeout) - the controller is trying to establish communications with a module, and is unable to do so.

On what module are you getting the error ? Can you post a screenshot of your expanded I/O Configuration tree.

If you have replaced your ControlNet module, is is possible that it is a different firmware revision number to the module installed in the application's I/O configuration. In this case you can change the module revision in the project, but you will then have to download the project to the controller.

Once you have your IO Ok status, it is possible that you may not have to re-schedule the network, but if you do have to, you will be told by a different error code in the module properties "Connection" tab.

hello daba,

really appreciated for your reply.
i tried my best to screenshot my PLC architecture. Please refer to the SS/attached.

As of today, the module status still ERROR thus the unit unable to run.

Yours faithfully,
Donald J.
Malaysia

K7600_1.jpg K7600_2.jpg K7600_3.jpg K7600_4.jpg

hello daba,

really appreciated for your reply.
i tried my best to screenshot my PLC architecture. Please refer to the SS/attached.

As of today, the module status still ERROR thus the unit unable to run.

Yours faithfully,
Donald J.
Malaysia

The screenshots indicate an error on the Analog input module in slot 6 of rack 2.

Try swapping that input module with the identical module in slot 7 (power off - these are not hot-swappable).

If the fault moves to slot 7 then replace the module.

If the fault stays on slot 6, then replace the module base.

Often, just by unplugging and re-seating modules, you "clean" connections, and it works again.

hello,

i did the recommendation. but still the error persists.

even though in the screen shot indicates only 1 AI card faulty, but in the real situation 2 DO cards having status RED status LED illuminated (Slot 4 and Slot 4).

hello,

Based on my diagnosis today, some of the I/O cards are healthy and some affected with "Yellow Triangle". So its hard to pin point which are the problematic I/O cards. I suspect the main issues here is the communications among the I/O.

I just received an updates from my colleagues that he continues to troubleshoot and replaced Slot 7, Slot 6, Slot 5 and Slot 4 I/O Cards, yet the problem persists.

I am suspecting my PLC having issues with the communications. AI and DO cards have been replaced with new unit so do the back plane.

If you have replaced all of the remote I/O hardware, and are still having random failures in the remote chassis, then I would look at the ControlNet network itself.

Are you using the "T" or "Y" node drop cables ?
Are the termination resistors installed ?
Cable condition ?
Cable length ?
Cable routing away from noise sources ?

For the remote chassis, is it located away from sources of electrical noise ?

hello Dave,

i am not so sure either "T" or "Y" but refer to the picture attached, the cables are 1797-TPS/B.

I dont see any termination resistors (or i am not aware/not in the know of it, so i apologize for that.)

Cable condition, the cable looks fine to me.
Please refer to the attached files for better picture.

Thank you.
:site:

20161207_171610.jpg 20161207_171308.jpg 20161207_171138.jpg

I just had this very same problem ... the 16#0204 error ... unable to communicate. It turned out there were FIVE remote racks, each with their own "Black Box" fiber-to-Ethernet Converters, and one of the Converters in the "chain" had died! Replacing it cleared up all the yellow triangle errors inside ControlLogix online.

The funny thing was - TWO of the remote racks had the yellow triangles in ControlLogix, but it was one of the other three that had the dead Black Box Converter, yet it wasn't showing any problems in ControlLogix. I guess the Controller could get to this rack, but not the other two (which were beyond it in the "chain"?)

Yup, that's how controlnet works! Had a flex controlnet head die and knock it and everything past it out! I'm not a fan of controlnet, way too exacting and fragile.