Tools of trade

Doug_Adam

What would be the required "tools of trade" for an automation engineer/PLC programmer.

I have been thinking of this as a check list for when we start an new employee (and also if I ever want to jump ship).

As a minimum:
* Laptop PC
* Multimeter
* Small Screwdrivers
* Danger tags, and padlocks for isolating equipment
* Digital camera

Software:
* PLC programming software for you on site PLCs
* Other programming packages for SCADA, Programmable devices, VSDs etc
* MS Office or equivelent (Word procesor/spread sheet)
* CAD package (AutoCAD LT or equivelent)
* Project softtware (example MS Project)
* Internet connection to www.plcs.net

What do you guys think?
Have I missed anything?
Have I included something that is only a "nice to have" rather than a necessity?
Does anyone have a tool they cannot live without?

Doug

As a minimum:
* Laptop PC
* Multimeter
* Small Screwdrivers
* Danger tags, and padlocks for isolating equipment
* Digital camera

I would add

-large slotted screw driver, for opening up cabinets.
-Various communcation cables, specially ethernet straight through, and crossover
-pair of small side cutters
-Wire strippers, and perhaps a little bit of wire
-Suicide cord (120VAC power cord to wire up PLC's etc..)
-Flash Light
-Cable Ties, Wire markers...
-Calculator

Take away the multimeter and the digital camera, that would consist of everything in my laptop bag (except for note pads etc..)

I keep the multimeter and a more complete tool box in the trunk of my car, and I almost never have to dip in to it. The only times I ever get caught lacking is when exotic communication cables are needed. I also keep a pin extraction tool on me in case I need to change the pinout of one of my existing cables.

I guess what you keep with you depends on what exactly your job description is. I do service work about 1-2 days a week, and the rest of the time im in the office doing projects. It is mostly PLC programming / commisioning, but I do the odd bit of trouble shooting of electrical.

* Flashlight (Steve beat me to this)
* Wire strippers (Steve beat me to this)
* 14 ga stranded wire for Jumpers (Steve beat me to this)
* Electrical tape (Well at least I got one thing in)

List

I once found an unlinked help screen (I think it was for RSView32) that gave a similar list.

At the bottom of the list was:

· Rabbit's Foot

My own "kit" consists of:

· 25' of 25-pin ribbon cable (I know the pinout of that one. And, being flat, I can close the cabinet door on it without problems, or duct tape it to the floor so that it's not a tripping hazzard. It also rolls up into a small ball that fits in my pocket.

· 4 x 9-25 adapters (2 M-F, 2 F-M)

· 2 x Null Modem adapters. (1 9-pin, 1 25-pin)

· 4 Gender Changers (a 25-pin M-M, a 25 F-F, a 9 M-M, and a 9 F-F)

· Serial breakout box. For those rare times when I need to whip up a specialty cable. It's never been used.

With just the ribbon cable and adapters, I can communicate with 90%+ of the things I need to talk to. If it's somethng unusual is needed, chances are that they've got the cable laying around. Also chances are that it was made for a 25-pin serial port, which the adapters solve.

· 2 Ethernet cables. 1 Straight, 1 crossover. Different colors.

Addition stuff:

· Duct Tape (useful to keep panel doors from swinging into you) If you have a quarter roll left, it can be squished flat, and fits in your pocket (Thanks, McGuyver!)

· Ziplock bags (2-Gallon and 1-quart). The 2 gallon are great for cables (like the one for the PCMK card, or ethernet). Also, when I've got the ethernet card in my PC, the PCMK card goes in the bag with its cable, and vice versa. The quart ziplocks are handy for those jumper wires, and to collect screws, nuts, resisters, fuses, and other things that tend to get lost.

· Keys. I do a lot of work with AB PLCs. Occcationally I get a service call to go to a place where the PLC is locked in RUN mode, and the key is "somewhere". Since the keys are the same, a few projects were "accidently" shipped some years back with only 5 keys for 3 processors, and now I've got a PLC-5 and a SLC key of my own on a key ring. I've also picked up some standard panel keys along my travels as well. They make a 4-in-1 key that I'd love to get my hands on (without paying for it, of course). But the frustration is needing to get into a locked panel is slowly being minimized.

· Screwdrivers. You mentioned "small screwdrivers", by which I assume you mean the classic "yellow-handled electrical" type. I also carry a 1" flathead screwdriver (again, pocket sized), for getting into panels with defeatable disconnects.

· Calculator. I picked up a credit-card sized one some years ago (with some company logo on it). Although the laptop has a calculator, a seperate one can come in handy.

· A hub. It's frustrating needing to connect via ethernet, and have no spare ports to connect TO. This thing lives in the trunk, with the bump cap, safety shoes, and duffle bag with a change of clothes. (You never know when a "quick service call" will last longer than anyone expected.) There's also a dry-package meal there too (Easy Mac or better). Water and microwave ovens are usually available at the clients cafeteria.

One important thing about the items on this kit:
CLEARLY MARK EVERYTHING WITH YOUR NAME. These things are small, and tend to get loaned out (since not everyone knows where their towel is). It's nice to get them back.

That's all that comes to mind.

Last edited:
Cable Hint

If travel is often you will find that the needed cables add much weight. To minimize this I carry a long straight through 9 pin cable and make very short versions of the cables I need. I then connect the long extension cable to the adapter I need at that time. I also have a 2 inch crossover cable and a coupling to attach it to my 20 foot Ethernet cable if I need a crossover cable instead.

With this setup I always have the length I need yet I'm not carrying 5, 20 foot cables. If for some reason you need to connect two at once you can always pickup a second extension in a pinch.

Actually, I do use a hammer.
You see, where I work a lot of people remove failed items, take a look at them and say "we could probably still use this somewhere" and lock it in a cupboard.

2am in the morning, I found the problem, open the cupboard looking for a spare, find one, put it in and.........

I now have a policy of smashing faulty devices with a hammer.
It helps to shorten our down time.

Doug

Well done, Allen...
2.gif

I think we've come 'full circle'... :nodi:

beerchug

-Eric

Sharpie Marker (If for no other reason, Grafetti)

I like two multimeters, one digital, one analog. Sometimes you need to see the meter swing, sometimes you want to read the voltage or current quickly and accurately.

Testlight with leads or clips, to see if power is getting somewhere, especially if you have to be at cabinet or operator controls.

Long jumper leads, for remote meter reading, or just use the analog meter and watch for needle swing.

Band Aids, in case you don't have black tape to wrap on finger.

Copy of the "Codsack" PLC Troubleshooting Manual

Bottle of ibuprofin.

AND FINALLY --- Two bottles of Profusely. You never know when you might want to drink Profusely!

regards.....casey