Dear Friends

Abdul03

Can anyone tell me, what is the best procedure to test a flow switch. I know we can test it by connecting it where it needs to be and giving the exact flow of water. However, I would like to test it before I use it anywhere.

Any suggestion would be much appreciated.

Thank you,

Well if I'm testing that I have it flowing the right direction and I have my electrical connections right (normally open vs. normally closed and sinking vs sourcing or analog inputs working right), I've just done the 'stick it in the sink and hook it to the faucet' approach. Certainly not good enough to calibrate anything but good enough to prove I have the basics right, which is usually where I make mistakes. Probably too simple an answer for your question - sorry, I'm a simpleton :)

Is this a Switch or an actual measurement device, as in an analogue device

there is a flow switch that switches with a flow
0=off 1=on
DIGITAL

there is a flow switch that says @ 12mA half the flow is ocurring
@ 20 mA full flow
@ 4ma zero flow

in other words Analogue

these are both flow switches

what type was my question

Dear Friends,

Thank you once again for all the replies.

@iant: It is a flow Sensor ON & OFF and the model number is "SR5900"

Thank you.

ifm effector SR5900 flow sensor

Abdul03 said:
...Can anyone tell me, what is the best procedure to test a flow switch. I know we can test it by connecting it where it needs to be and giving the exact flow of water. However, I would like to test it before I use it anywhere.

...It is a flow Sensor ON & OFF and the model number is "SR5900"...

Using the default settings and manually forcing air or water through the sensor may test that the flow sensor actually switches the output, but it may not perform as expected when you fit it to your application proper.

In case you're not aware, and when you do fit it to your application...

The SR5900 flow sensor controller is not a simple flow switch. One where you can pass medium through it and simply check a circuit is closed or not and all is well. First you have to calibrate the High and Low flow rates. This requires passing the expected High and Low flow rates, for your application, through the sensor. This sets the correct min./max. working range. Then the switching setpoint can also be adjusted within that range. You can also select whether it switches normally open or closed. These are some of the important specs...

Flow monitoring
- output switches ON when flow is present (for output function = normally open)
- output switches OFF when flow is present (for output function = normally closed)

Liquids
Setting range [cm/s]....................3...300
Greatest sensitivity [cm/s]............3...60

Gases
Setting range [cm/s]....................200...3000
Greatest sensitivity [cm/s]............200...800

Optical function indication.............LED bar display
Response time ........................1...10

When you are pre-testing it...

The default switching setpoint is LED bar 7 of 9 on the display. You will have to pass a high enough flow rate to reach this LED bar, or above, before the output will switch for you, indicating proper flow. You could initially set this lower, so as to not need as high a flow rate for your test.

Regards,
George

ifm_SR5900.jpg

@Geospark: I am sorry, I am back again. A little concern about setting up the flow switch. If I set the max. and min. flow setpoints, when will be the switch get activated ?

For example: If I set Max flow 2750 and Min. flow 0 and it's a NO contact. When will be the switch get activated or close ?
Is it when it crosses the Min. flow ? or does it have to reach the max. flow in order for the switch to close ?
Do I need to set both Max and Min flow ?

please answer these couple of questions.

Many thanks.

this is application dependent and how the Flow switch works.
If there is only one contact
if you set it between 1000 and 2000 then the theory would be the contact operates in the range area.
I dont know your meter I think it closes when inside the set area.
set it low and try it

@iant: Thank you for the reply. In my application, flow switch operates when there is low flow. It is a NO contact and it operates (close) when it detects certain amount of flow.

For example, 500 m3/h and contact opens if it detects the flow less than 500.
Therefore, from your message what I understood, that I only need to set the low flow and if the flow goes below the low flow setpoint it opens the contact and closes if it goes above the low setpoint.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

Thank you,

that sounds fine
Just remember when you start this system the flow will be zero
so you will need to allow for that in your program.