Search and compare with PV PLus6 & ML1400

Beanie

Hello All,

This is probably simple for most but I'm banging my head against the wall. I'm trying to limit access to functions with a password. I'm using a PanelView Plus 6, I'm loading up tags(Stings) from a CSV file on SDcard. Operator enters a password, I want to search against the tags and grant access or not. Seems so simple. I have a fixed number of tags(250), but not all will be populated that will be up to the customer to maintain the CSV file. I am connected to a Micrologix 1400. But I'd rather do the Search/Compare in the Panelview if possible, if not I can push all the tags to the PLC, which I have done and did a 250 line of ladder with simple compare rungs but that seems so primitive. I need to do this with 4 more questions, seems like i may run out of memory or bog the system down if I have to compare 250 lines of code with each question.

Any thoughts or point me in a different direction??

Much appreciated.
Jim

I have done this with a CompactLogix L18 Controller and a PV 600. I used the File Search and Compare (FSC) instruction. I am pretty sure that the SLC/Micrologix do not have the FSC instruction available. So the "Brute Force" method may be the only way to make a Micrologix work.

Any chance you change to a CompactLogix PLC for this? With the ability to do arrays and use the FSC instruction to search those arrays you may be money ahead in programming time and performance.

Just a thought.