Flip Flops

JSPLC

I have been using a memory intensive version of a Flip Flop which uses about 6 words of memory. Does anyone know of a simpler bit level structure to create a Flip Flop?

yes search the site
there are hundreds of posts here

If you want more help then post what you have

Here are 13 methods. I collected these from past threads on this site. I gave credit where I could. Many of these methods have been pasted around programmer-to-programmer for many years.

Last edited:
dont go there ojz0r

over here they are called thongs - yes worn on your feet

slightly different in USA a Thong is not worn on the feet

dont go there ojz0r

over here they are called thongs - yes worn on your feet

slightly different in USA a Thong is not worn on the feet

And what was it you guys called clear sticky tape ??? ;)

Back OT....

Whichever method you decide upon, JSPLC, and you have a free choice, be aware that not all of the "solutions" available to you behave the same way when the processor, controller, PLC, intelligent relay, etc., is restarted, eg. from a power cycle or a mode change from Program to Run.

Many will not retain the state of the flip-flop, or toggle, some will.

You have to decide whether your application is happy with that, and choose accordingly.

To me, it's a clear-cut choice - whatever "flip-flop" method I use MUST retain the current state through a restart. A restart has absolutely nothing to do with my application logic, so why should it change the state of any of my "memory" bits? I then have a simple job deciding which toggled bits I need to reset on start-up, if any.

Choosing a common retentive flip-flop method throughout gives me the flexibility to use them as the application determines, and not as the software/firmware/hardware dictates.

Here are 13 methods. I collected these from past threads on this site. I gave credit where I could. Many of these methods have been pasted around programmer-to-programmer for many years.

Thanks Lancie, There are a few on there, I hadn't seen. And I think that Lancies favorite method, may have just become mine.... I like that it triggers on release of the button, instead of activation. Previously I was using method 7