CompactLogix L16 Faulted

RBergmann

I have an application (one of many) where I access the PLC and HMI via cellular modem at the remote site.

Physically, at the site, no LED faults are indicated, but the PLC does not seem to be functioning. We have an HMI error log indicating two of the inputs (embedded) that should always be active enabling the program to, are not (alarmed log errors). However, the LEDs for these inputs are active and toggle as expected (we can easily test with a third input for an ICP door switch.

Remotely, using RSLogix 5000, I can go on-line and receive an error that the embedded I/O are faulted, but without a "clear fault" function. There is no further information I can find. The two inputs mentioned above are not shown active in the ladder. I am on-line in monitor run modes with a blinking I/O OK light (not seen on physical end from what my tech tells me). My current suspicions are a bad I/O 24VDC power supply (tech put a meter at both the supply output and PLC I/O input terminals), note this unit uses two power supplies, one for the CPU and one for the I/O.

Any thoughts?

application (one of many)

Are you absolutely sure you're online with the correct controller ?

I've never heard of an I/O connection failure that shows up in RSLogix 5000 but not on the actual controller LED.

But I've personally gone online with the wrong controller address dozens of times.

Are you absolutely sure you're online with the correct controller ?

I've never heard of an I/O connection failure that shows up in RSLogix 5000 but not on the actual controller LED.

But I've personally gone online with the wrong controller address dozens of times.

I just checked again. I'm on the correct site (we have about 20+) I have two ways to access the site (both use the same WAN IP.

1. Use the HMI (RedLion in this case) IP address +:8080 to log onto the embedded web server. This gives me a quick overview of what's going on.

2. RSLogix 5000 using Remote Devices via Linx Gateway configuration. Use this for program modifications, uploads, downloads, in-depth monitoring, etc.

While using #2 above, the monitoring shows flashing green on "I/O Not Responding" LED. "Run Mode" and "Controller OK" are showing solid green.

At the bottom of the Controller Organizer, under 1769-L16ER/Embedded I/O, I have a yellow triangle by Embedded Discrete_IO. I had disabled an expansion module (shows yellow circle with a 'pause' symbol - as far as I can tell that's what's in the circle). Right click on Embedded Descrete_IO, Popup bottom left message alternates between 'faulted' and 'connecting'.

That's all I have.