activation question

Skiroy

I can by a labtop with RS5000,rslinx, and factory talk view on it to learn on at the house. The question is; if I have to reinstall any of these or reformat the labtop will I have issues re activating them?

When your locked out dont you need to call Rockwell and have a license number and license owner info? Its not transferable?

Finally since I dont have the CDs can I copy or image the software from the labtop to reinstall?

let's address some issues.

#1. the laptop is used, what shape is it in?

#2. the software sells for several thousand dollars. more than likely you will be getting a boot leg copy of the software. who is to say that the activation files will be on the laptop and you are not in the 7 day grace period when you get it.

#3. the software is licensed to the one who bought it. and they must transfer the license to you along with all the information and cd's.

#4. since you are not the registered owner of the software,
you will not be able to get tech support.

not trying to be mean, just trying to make you aware of these issues. this is not the first time someone has posted this same thing.

regards,
james

No I completely agree. The person is selling it from a company that gave him the laptop with the software on it. They went to Studio5000 and other latest software and had no more use for the laptop. This thing happens alot. Weather the laptop is good or not its hard to know. Anyways Im not concerned with that.

He is obviously not the owner of the software so Im not going to buy it from him. My question was mainly if he was the owner can he transfer the license to me or is it one version one owner only.

So the license can be transferred then?

He said the activation files are on the laptop and he doesnt have the CDs. In this case could I just image the whole drive and not have issues reactivating the software if I needed to re image the drive back to its current state if I messed things up in the future or the drive fails?

Like I said Im not buying this guys laptop but I have seen a few on ebay for sale. I hope to catch an actual owner,but in the event he doesnt have the software CD I dont want to be dead in the water.

So if you have the activation file the software is activated through the web with this file?

Can the license be transferred?
yes, the company who bought the software must transfer the license to him. he then can transfer the license to you.
since the license will be transferred 2 times, ?????.\
if the software is under tech support contract then cd's are available for order or download.

imaging the drive???
the license software requires a serial number or other information from the hard drive, network card, or something else. so if you image the hard drive and loose the license file, you should be able to restore it back to the same drive.
if the hard drive fails, i don't know.

hope this helps.
james

What does concurrent lincense mean? I was told it had to be intalled as a server or on a server. SO what does this mean on how to install it?