MicroLogix1100/Citect

joigunni

Supporting Member
Hi, I'm having a problem connecting MicroLogix1100 with citect 7.2. I have be using Citect and TSX Micro using Modbus on serial connection, but I like to use MicroLogix1100 with same Citect program but I'm lost how to get them to talk to gather. I have be trying to use serial connection and ethernet but nothing is working. Somebody was talking abut using ethernet, and using OPC to talk to RSLinx classig, but I'm not sure what adddress name I should put in Citect I/ODevices in Citect and I'm not sure if I can use ethernet port on MicroLogix1100 for Modbus.

You may have to stick your install disc back in and add the micrologix driver.

You need to create a board; name it MLXBOARD5 and set the type to ABMLXEIP and address of 0.

Create a port and name it PORT5_MLXBOARD5 set port number to 5 (or something unique) and then set the board name to MLXBOARD5 and set the special Opt to the ip of the micro such as 192.168.1.20

Create a IO Device and name it MicroLogix, give it a unique number, set the protocol to ABMLXEIP (only visible if you have it installed as mentioned above), set the port to the newly created port.

should be all you need to get running

Ok, I have done that, but after that I have to change "I/O device name" in Variable to "MicroLogix", and after compile I get Error "Bad IO Device variable"
My variable have address 4000 to 40020.

is my ports settings ok.
In Ports setting:
PortName:pORT45_MLXBOARD5
PortNumber:5
Board Name: MLXBOARD5
Baud rate: None
DataBits:8
Stop Bits: none
Party: none
Special Opt: 192.168.1.44

Those are modbus addresses not micrologix. A typical micro address would be N7:0 and citect knows it. If you want to do modbus from the micro, I think you might have the wrong one (I'd have to check). The micro that does support modbus requires you to turn that feature on and then map registers to those addresses. Additionally you would then have to use a modbus driver in citect.

Thanks, I will try that, use a micro address, it's easy for me to exchange address, but is the protocol the same I mean is this micro protocol similar to modbus?

I have no idea of how familiar you are with the micrologix product so my answer will not be as helpful as it could be.

The protocols are similar in end result but the protocols themselves are quite different. In modbus products there is a giant list of registers that you pull from certain areas to use. In these older AB products the registers are contained within data files. Each data file is of a certain data type like float/real, Integer, Timer, Counter, etc. So you have to create a new data file or increase the size of an existing to make more. In many Scada's with modbus you have have to add certain characters after it to declare how many bits make up the whole register. That's not the case with these AB products. Each tag only uses one register. The registers themselves are of different size. I'm not sure if any of this is even helpful to you...