HMI to electricity meter ?????

gomond

Is it possible to use a MODBUS RTU enabled HMI i.e. TouchWIN or the like to query a MODBUS slave energy meter like the ABB submetering units.

I am trying to figure out how to do this and the one thing that does not seem to be on the web are any decent tutorials or examples showing how to use an HMI as a MODBUS RTU Master.

Thanks Heaps if anyone can help.
Greg.

Have a chat with the guys at Remtron. They may have the answer for you

I can see this a possibility.

Is it possible to use a MODBUS RTU enabled HMI i.e. TouchWIN or the like to query a MODBUS slave energy meter like the ABB submetering units.

I am trying to figure out how to do this and the one thing that does not seem to be on the web are any decent tutorials or examples showing how to use an HMI as a MODBUS RTU Master.

Thanks Heaps if anyone can help.
Greg.

I have recently viewed a presentation of Omron: it describes a NS touchscreen that was master of several MX2 drives over modbus RTU.
I didn't test it, nor have I experience with it, but it might be possible. Can you contact a Omron person?

When any HMI implements Modbus RTU, it almost invariably does so as the Modbus master. The Modbus master is the device that initiates all data exchanges. When the master wants to read data from a slave it sends a "Read" command that tells the slave the starting address and number of bytes it wants. The slave responds with the data. When the master wants to write data to the slave it sends a "Write" command to the slave. The write command includes the starting address in the slave where the data is to be written and the number of bytes of data, followed by the data.
I don't know the details of setting up communications on the HMI you cited, but just treat the energy meter as if it were a PLC. You will need to get the Modbus map for the meter to know the addresses of the data you want to display on the HMI.