How to access AIC+ network

Peacemaker

I am a complete novice on PLC things and I'd like to access PLC program of a control system composed of Panelview 300 and two sets of ML1200 through 1761-NET-AIC. Once I tried AB_DF1, DH-485 using RSLink through 8-pin mini DIN port of AIC+ and COM1 of my laptop for machine troubleshooting. But there was alarm such as "packet time out / check cable". Can anybody help me?

I have never been able to make the RSLinx product group see my point.... That is a DF1 driver, not a DH-485 driver, no matter what its label says.

The RSLinx driver you need to use for your network is called the "1747-PIC/AIC+" driver.

It's not the easiest driver to use because of its heritage in ancient PC's and operating systems, but it is the correct place to start.

Just a quick note to Ken's post:
"1747-PIC/AIC+" driver will work with real COM port only, not USB-to-serial. Some port replicators will not work also.

Try disconnecting your PanelView and then run RSLinx to connect to the PLC using the 1747-PIC/AIC+ driver. Note that when the PIC driver loads in a WIN-XP system, you will get a warning message about incompatibiliity. Just ignore it, click "Continue Anyway" and you should be OK.

I have never been able to connect a laptop to my PLC through the AIC+ when a PanelView or PanelView Plus is connected to the DH-485 network, even using the 1747-PIC/AIC+ driver. I'm not certain if the PanelViews lock up the token too long or what, but I have to un-plug the PanelViews in order to "see" the PLCs, and I have to connect to the PanelView programming port directly to download from PanelBuilder, even if I'm using RSLinx for the download.

Needless to say, this is very, VERY irritating. I have talked to my distributor's tech support about this, and they seem to accept it as just a fact of life in the A-B world.

Come on, Rockwell Software guys, can't you fix this?

Last edited:
Come on, Rockwell Software guys, can't you fix this?
As I understand, noone will touch PIC driver anymore.
Because they concentrate on 1747-UIC.
Just wait a little: 1756-DH485 is coming for contollogix...