GE PAC system CPE310 Communication issue

DHoward

Hi - I am converting and existing 90-30 series PLC system with the following:

Rack 0 has power supply, CPU, and 8 Horner 4-20mA input modules (HE693ADC420)

Expansion racks 1-5 have 4-20 mA inputs and outputs, some discreet I/O modules.

I want to just replace Rack 0 with a 16 slot RX3i universal backplane, a CPE310 processor, an EMT001 ethernet module, and an RLE expansion module at the for connection to existing 90-30 racks 1-5. I want to use the 8 horner analog modules in the new univeral rack and verified that horner lists them as compatable. I cannot go on-line with the CPE310 (i tried SNP comm2 port, com1 rs-232 port, and lan port on the cpe310) if I remove the horner modules i can go online just fine. I checked the 5v and 24 v power consumption for the horner and entered it in the hardware configuration in Proficy ME. Has anyone ever encountered this problem? should I just add a rack six making the old rack 0 an expansion rack with these modules in it? I appreciate any input

I'm not very familiar with the PAC Systems, but I'm curious as to whether you have attempted to get online and download a configuration including the Horner modules, then power down and insert them into the chassis? Just a thought...

From your description of the symptoms I suspect a power supply problem regardless of what the book says about the power consumption of the modules. Have you tried configuring and installing only one of the eight Horner modules? If that works, increase the Horner modules one at a time until communication fails. To me that would be confirmation of a power issue or a defective module. If you can't communicate with only a single Horner module in place, it's probably time to get GEIP and/or Horner tech support involved.
I have an Rx3i system with two Horner millivolt analog modules installed in a 16-slot base with a CPU315 and an ETM001 that has been running without any problems for about three years, so it seems unlikely that there are compatibility issues.

From your description of the symptoms I suspect a power supply problem regardless of what the book says about the power consumption of the modules. Have you tried configuring and installing only one of the eight Horner modules? If that works, increase the Horner modules one at a time until communication fails.

+1
I've seen that more than once! One damage module pulls the entire chassis down, as could an overload.

Thanks for the input - I did download the configuration with the horner module (while they were out of the rack) with no luck - still no comm with them installed. I tried removing them one by one down to four and gave up. I will try again with just one installed next week

Thanks