Easy way to round up

hackj0632

I'm looking to take a real and round up to the next integer. I have a working test section of code already, but was curious if this could be done in a lot fewer steps.

What I have so far is a one-shot check to take Position_test_real convert to it.

If Test_To_Int is less than Test_TO_Real then Test_TO_int is moved to nextposition_INT.

If Test_To_Int is greater than Test_TO_Real then add one to ADD_One_Position is moved to nextposition_INT.

Looking forward to the help

Attached is a zipped JPEG.

Add .5 destination an integer, if your PLC supports that kind of math.

That will not work on for all numbers on Logix5000 systems.

They use the "Round-To-Even" method when a REAL needs to be stored in an integer destination.

If the REAL is 4.0 and you add 0.5 to it, to get 4.5, when that is stored back into an integer it goes to 4

If the REAL is 5.0 and you add 0.5 to it, to get 5.5, when that is stored back into an integer it goes to 6

i.e. you can never get an "odd" result, the rounding method always goes to the nearest "even" number.

This will only occur when the REAL is xxx.0 (exactly), so could easily be trapped before doing the ADD and MOV as you suggested.

EDIT: I see it is MotionWorks from the attached .ZIP file. I have no idea how rounding is performed on that platform...

2014-05-25_162712.jpg

Last edited: