Programming LinMot Linear Motors

Lamboom

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi
Is there anyone out there that has programmed a LinMot Driver/Controller, and used a PLC (perhaps Siemens S7 1200) to run it?

I'm looking for any information (a manual, tutorial, example program .. etc) that would help get me started at running a LinMot E1100 series controller, driving a linear motor using a PLC.

Thanks much, regards, Michael

We have worked with these. They are relatively easy to set up.
We use specific moves (two absolute and one relative) for each motor and trigger them with digital command lines.
While for our vertical application they have just enough power they work well.

How can I help?

You may have to experiment with them a bit to decide the best way to use them. They can be programmed for very complex moves though ours are fairly simple and use the built in profiles.

Last edited:
Thanks Iriaim, I did know of that source & LinMot just sent some of those files for Siemens. I'm looking them over now. Regards, Michael

Bernie- Good to hear that someone on the forum is working with them. They are quite interesting, and have their special considerations like "watch out for those super magnets in the slider!" But, they have special values for my project ... they last nearly forever, billions of cycles, they move with great force and speed when necessary, and they use intelligent PID driver controllers for excellent tuning.

I want them to just make waves (http://www.microoceans.com/) This application requires only sine waves. I have created software which programs a DAC, which feeds the analog input of a Tolomatic ACS/ERD linear actuator. It works nice, but it's not a closed system, and is limited by dynamically changing loads within the range of what's required. HMI is via a touch screen. One moves sliders to create the height and length of a wave, and the Tolomatic actuator makes it, as best it can, for an open system ... it's nice, but no cigar.

I should be regarded as a newbie with PLCs .. I understand the process of using digital command lines for simple pick & place moves, i understand ladder logic (enough to get in trouble) I would like to use an HMI touch screen to select perhaps 30 sine waves stored in the controller. These waves would run continuously for a selected time.

It's easy to define a sine wave and store it in their controller.

What I don't know, is how to tell the controller how long to run a series of that stored wave.. I'm studying LinMots publications; however, they are written for experts in programming, I understand the information .. but, it isn't enough.

I need a little guidance on what to study, and perhaps the solutions will come to me. LinMots literature presumes way too much ... a few paragraphs of explanation on the theory of their programming requirements, would go a long way.

Turns out LinMot is very helpful, and has offered to work one-on-one over the web. This is an awesome service. I'm just not quite ready to jump in there until I know more about this science. I don't want to waste their time … or yours … :)

Regards, Michael

That will be changeling you will facing.

The sine wave programming on LinMot you already understand define it and you can store it.

Reference link by Iriaim you need to follow up and study.

The 2nd challenges are to select PLC brand,

Your choice S7-1200 new model.

New software.

If this first time programming on PLC.

This will be big challenges to you.

Then you need to select type of communication between S7-1200 and LinMot via HMI/Touch screen.

Profibus?

What model LinMot will support the Profibus.

What brand of HMI/Touch screen profibus you will use.

You can store all your 30 wave in the PLC.

If you select Rockwell platform Software/Hardware,

Same as above.

http://www.linmot.com/fileadmin/doc/Manuals/E1100/Usermanual_PROFIBUS_E1100_e_recent.pdf

http://www.linmot.com/fileadmin/doc/Manuals/E1100/Usermanual_Ethernet_IP_SG5.pdf

http://www.linmot.com/fileadmin/doc/Manuals/E1100/Usermanual_PROFINET_e_recent.pdf

The good news you get support from LinMot.

Hi again Osmanmom! ... always good to hear from you.
Good news.. I have the LinMot E1130 controller..uses profibus .. I also have a E2010 which is a "dumb" driver.. and could use a Delta Motion Controller to make the sine waves. The Delta is an old RCM100, quadrature ... it should do fine, but it can't calculate the Random seas I'll need. Delta's RMC150 or RMC75 can do that.. but, the cost to too much at this time. Have a Siemens HMI, it's profibus & so is the PLC S7 1200 .. and, yes.. I have a lot of work ahead of me if i go that route. Will try first to use digital I/O .. may have to get a E1100-GP controller. And YES... LinMot offers great support.. I love them!

Last edited:
Hi Ndzied1 .. Thanks for the input.. I was raised in Chicago .. :)
Actually, it was a friends company the built the tank, I just did the design. and added a few features that MSI hadn't considered .. like the regular waves. I wanted to make random seas, and rogue waves (where small waves combine and make big waves)and, I designed a 3D shore that was awesome for mitigating the effects of a Tsunami, compaired to the smooth coast line. The cliff design even had a cave & a blowhole! However, the museum felt that was too complicated for young minds .. sigh! For 35 years,I Worked in a 300ft by 50x15 deep tank ... very interesting indeed ..there is lots to learn when you make waves.

Osmanmom.. Basically.. I think I need to come up with a flow chart.. or wiring connection for the Profibus .. connecting the PLC (S7 1200 siemens) and the seimens HMI, an ethernet switch, and the LinMot driver/controller (E1130-DP) ... program the PLC and HMI using the TIA portal, and the LinMot controller using the TALK-6 software.. load all the sine waves in the command table... and select which ones to run from the HMI... How hard could that be ... :)

I'm not so sure the Siemens can talk to LinMot E1130.. that unit is mainly designed for profibus.. soooo... I snagged a E1100-GP which takes digital inputs to select from it's 255 curve library (which i can create).. sooo, things are looking up.. still have to learn how to get the digital inputs to select library files to run... sooo... you guys really like this kinda work?

I have read the manual user, E1100 -GP

Are this digital input ( X6-command 8 bit ?) can configure same like binary input?

for example if i select 0000 1111 = 15

then this value 15 will select the memory number 15 data s-curve in drive (0-255) ?

That sounds reasonable... I was thinking that way too
X6 is the 25-pin connector, 16 pins for inputs .. 8 of which would be for selecting the 0-255 lines of the motion control file ... the other are whatever you want I guess .. probably configured when you run the LinMot "TALK 6" configuration software .. I still have to research it.. and will eventually call LinMot (or eMail) if I can't figure out how to do it... there are those examples of Siemens PLC programming ... have to check that out too.. My wife's keeping me busy on the farm.. so it's going a little slow.. :)