Maple HMI5104TH Barcode Reading Problems ...

sealyons

I know this is not directly PLC-related but I'm guessing it's close enough. If it's not, please let me know.

I'm working on an application for a woodworking machine that uses a Maple HMI5104TH graphic HMI and I need to read barcodes. I have a bit of experience with Maple products, but I'm by no means an expert. The 5000-series Maples supposedly have firmware that will allow barcode reading via USB but I'm having no luck getting it to work with their barcode demo (modified to use a USB scanner instead of RS-232). The barcode communication driver is setup as a type of PLC in Maple and the configuration appears to be pretty straight-forward. It supports a single FLAG for SCAN COMPLETE and a set of REGISTERS that should contain the scanned code. I believe my scanner doesn't use a start-code and has a CR/LF termination. I've tried lots of comm settings in the driver but have not had any luck yet.

I'm currently using a cheap USB eBay scanner for testing. The program compiles & downloads fine but does not register any scans (FLAG not set & REGISTERS empty). Has anyone played with any of this and got it to work with a USB scanner? Any comments on types of scanners that appear to work the best with Maple? Is there any configuration setup that has to be done on the USB ports or anywhere else to get this to work? Any suggestions are appreciated.