new battery for laptop, commissioning

Kataeb

i have replaced my laptop battery by a new one, because the old one is not charging properly and sometimes going empty suddenly.
what is the procedure for using a new laptop battery? should we charge it fully for one or two days? then let it go empty? to recharge it again?

This was an issue with NiCad batteries. Some argued they had "memory". For example, if you only ran them half way down before recharging, they would "remember" and start dying half way. You had to fully discharge to "clear the memory". Of course, manufacturers insisted this wasn't true.
Not a problem with current Lithium technology. The only reason for full discharge/recharge today is to teach the gas gauge in Windows.

Fully charge before first use is recommended for all batteries.

I will tell any one who thinks their laptop battery is faulty
-
more than likely it is the motherboard DC power connector.
this is subject to constant movement and breaks the socket away from the circuit board.
in some cases it actually shorts out the battery

- i have seen this in HP,Toshiba and Compaq notebooks

I like to put new batteries through several full charge and discharge (to normal levels) cycles. It has seemed to help their performance for me with all types of rechargeables.