PanelView Plus "Alive" signal

DamianInRochester

Lifetime Supporting Member
I'm looking for suggestions on the most efficient means for a Compact/Control Logix to detect that the PanelViewPlus has finished booting up and is actively communicating.

How about monitoring the seconds date time tag from the panelview global connections, resetting a timer. Timer times out = no comms

i am fairly certain there is a watchdog bit that is settable in the system area
I will have a look and get back to you in the morning although I think you will have the answer before that

DMFrey's method is what I use; configure the Global Connection to write the PanelView's time to the controller, then monitor the Seconds value to be sure it is changin.

Thanks everyone. Watchdog implemented using the seconds counter and everything is working fine. It will become a standard part of all my future projects involving panelviews. Note: The update rate for the time tags needs to be set at a much quicker than default value in order for this to function usefully. I set it for 2 seconds as I desired a fairly quick response time.

Just wondering what you would be your actions when your PV don't respond, - stop the equipment?, user catch it with a blackout state in PV?

Just wondering what you would be your actions when your PV don't respond, - stop the equipment?, user catch it with a blackout state in PV?

That is a very fair question.

What prompted it was that when the machine is initially powered up it might sound an audible alarm that could only be acknowledged after the HMI was available.

In addition, since almost all the operation is through the HMI, I now will shut down things if it is not operational.

Thank you, that is a cool trick, I have seen operators at the Panel waiting for PV to finish its boot sequence, just to mute the horns.