Omron CPU Serial comms

danatomega

Lifetime Supporting Member
I have an Omron CJ1M-CPU13 PLC that uses the peripheral port to talk to a Parker drive with electric cylinder but communications seem to be not working.
The peripheral port has (4) options:
Host Link
NT Link
Toolbus
Serial Gateway
I have tried all (even though a few are clearly not good choices for 9600, N,8,1) without success.
The Parker drive is configured for 9600,N,8,1 and I am able to talk to it from my laptop.
When I connect the PLC to HyperTerminal and trigger it to do comms I receive nothing at the laptop.
I feel it must have to do with the port configuration but have flogged it for several hours without success.

Anyone have any ideas? I have the customer gathering another PLC upload from his existing machine but have not much hope for that to happen quickly...

Are you sure it is the peripheral port? More likely to be the serial port.

Okay, I see now that it is the second (lower) port on the PLC and it's labeled "PORT". I guess I am further confused about the PLC Setting dialog in CX Programmer - there's a tab for Host Link Port and Peripheral Port. I figured the Host Link Port is the on I hook my programming cable to and the Peripheral Port is the one I have the serial comms cable to the Parker drive hooked to ...

I still don't see what to configure on the PLC to make that port successfully transmit. I still don't receive anything at HyperTerminal from the PLC.

So, it appears that the Host Link Port configuration is for the serial (lower) Port on the CPU, and rs232 config works fine - it's just confusing the way Omron refers to its device parts.