Rockwell Migration to Windows 7

Raymie64

The company I work for is migrating to Win7 and soon I will be forced to leave the XP world. I was looking for any known issues with migrating from XP to Win7. I have to support Logix 5000 versions from 15 to 19, Logix 500, FTView, PanelBuilder32, Emulate5000. I was also wondering if I should consider using a Virtual Workstation environment.

Any advise from the experts would be helpful

I've been using all those softwares (less Emulate5000) on a Win7 laptop for about a year now and have not seen any issues. Because many here have highly recommended it, I would have gone with VM software originally, but our IT Department won't let me. Like I said, though, I haven't had any problems.

Steve

Same as Steve we started moving about a year ago and run all the software you listed and have had no trouble. We also replaced a few older Panelview plus stations with touch monitors and their own cpu running win7/FTVME 6.0 RT they work fine. I just completed a win7/FTVSE 7.0 Distributed app and so far it's running WAY better than the old system.

If I were you I would NOT run FactoryTalk View Studio in 64bit. I cannot stress the "NOT" enough. Don't do it.

As iraiam pointed out, you have to maintain a 32bit installation just to convert an application created in 32bit over to 64 bit. At that point you might as well just use 32bit. The other problem is that once your application is converted to 64bit, it cannot be converted back. So if you send the application to someone that runs it in 32bit, they will not be able to edit it.

Personally, I'd use Virtual machines like VMWare or VirtualBox. Make your host operating system Windows 7 64 bit and your guest Windows 7 32bit. Then install all of your rockwell software in your guest.

Again, I would not run FTVS on a 64bit operating system.

As everyone else has said, the only issue I've noticed is with FactoryTalk View Studio on Windows 7 64Bit. Personally, I've addressed this in a Windows 7 32bit virtual machine, but if you are getting a PC with 4GB of ram or less, it shouldn't be an issue.

Thank you all for your input. I do have some additional questions.

IT is wanting to use the built in XP mode of Windows 7 rather than a VM. Can you give me the pros and cons for each. My thought is to install 5000 in 64 bit and FT studio in XP mode. With this in mind will I still be able to use emulate between the two or would I have to install everything in XP mode?

If someone can give me the rationale I need to convince IT that a true VM is the way to go that would be great.

Last edited:
I think the biggest problem with XP mode is that it's XP and no longer supported by Microsoft. XP mode is a VM, I suspect the issue is it's free for Win 7 Pro, any other VM, Virtualbox for example, would require another OS license.

XP Mode may be fine for temporary use, but already we see other software companies are obsoleting the use of their software on XP, for example; I got the new version of Intouch in the mail this week at work, the release notes specifically state that Windows XP is no longer supported, it won't even install on XP.

No doubt we are going to see more of this in the near future, doesn't the new FTview use Microsoft SQL now?

Last edited:
The issue with XP mode is in installing the software. Some of it will not install using a remote session (XP Mode uses Remote Desktop to interact with you). I got aroud it by installing TightVNC so that I could attach to the XP Mode VM in a console session (that's the same as sitting directly in front of the PC). Once it's installed though, I've not had any issue in running it that way. Using VMWare or VirtualBox will always put you in a console session.

Others have talked about the migration to 64-bit from 32-bit and FTV Studio. My take on it is to plan for it now. Is it a pain right now? Yep, sure is. But consider that the time is coming when 32-bit OSes will be no more. Win8 was originally 64-bit only, with the 32-bit systems being introduced later. All Windows Server OSes are 64-bit only after v2008. Methinks the desktop OSes can't be far behind.

:eek:fftop:BTW, I've also had no issues running the software under Win8. Say what you will about how Win8 stinks, but popping in Classic Shell put it right back to 'normal' desktop operation.

I get frustrated trying to figure out which parts of XP Mode are tightly integrated and which ones aren't. Souring my opinion more is the episode when our service tech forgot the XP Mode login (it was different from the Windows 7 login) and locked us out of it forever.

VMWare Workstation has contributed mightily to the stability and availability of my automation software. I simply don't have the kind of compatibility and revision control problems I used to encounter regularly.

I won't install automation software on my host OS. Everything goes into a VM.