Plc 5/80, ASB And HSCE

Riche007

Hi All,
I've been an "outsider" for quite some time and I have gained quite a bit from some insightful responses here.

I have a question tho:
I'm looking at the possibility of hooking up a 1746-HSCE module to a PLC 5/80. However, the HSCE module is to be hooked up to an ASB. On the other hand, the PLC 5/80 is hooked up to the ASB via DH+. The essence of the project is that PLC 5/80 shud be able to communicate with the HSCE via the ASB via DH+. Is that possible? What are the constraints and limitations? How do i go about configurations? I would be glad to get any feedbacks.

Last edited:
The HSCE will sit in a remote rack controlled by the ASB. You connect the ASB to the 5/80 over Remote I/O (RIO) not DH+.

If I remember correctly you have 2 ways of configuring the ASB.
* Discrete - configure the ASB to see intelligent modules as they appear in the SLC data table, ie. as a group of words in the input image table.

* Non-Discrete - configure the ASB to communicate with intelligent modules as you usually do with a PLC-5, ie. Block transfer.

The mapping of the module is all well described in the users manual.

Good Luck,

(8{)} :) .)

riche,
THIS thread and THIS thread were all about remote HSCE modules on RIO. Only difference was that the scanner was an 1747-SN in an SLC500 rack, your scanner will be one of the ports on the PLC5.

You will have to use block transfers, as the HSCE module needs more data than can be contained in 2 words (max for discrete RIO).

And you should be very careful to set the RIO dipswitches correct.

Thanx alot.
Tho, I got a confirmation from ab that the HSCE wud not suit my design cos of the M files. HSCE2 is more appropriate over a RIO for this application.