Restoring an .apa file FactoryTalk

rustydud

Hello everyone,
First-time user of FactoryTalk 7.0 here. I have no prior experience programming HMI's / OIT's. I found the 600+ page manual online for FactoryTalk ...however I haven't found any useful tutorial videos or "primers"...wish there was something out there that would help 🍺
I wrote a program in RSLogix500 for a MicroLogix controller. It is a fairly simple program used to control two pumps. I received a program .apa file that I want to use as a starting point for my HMI. When I try to open this file I get two options:
>>Restore the FactoryTalk View Machine Edition application;
>>Restore the FactoryTalk View Machine Edition application and FactoryTalk Local Directory

I do not know which option to choose for my situation. Help?

Last edited:
The FactoryTalk Local Directory contains the security from the system the .apa was originally created on.

If you choose that option, it will overwrite the existing Directory config on your PC. If you want to do this, I'd take a backup of your existing config first :)