Compact Logix ethernet issue

mjggjm12

I have downloaded a program into a new compactlogix 1769-L23E B1B and I cannot connect to it with ethernet. I get the yellow question mark and it has the red x on it. I did have to download new firmware to the plc before I could download the program. The plc came with revision 1 on it and I loaded the version 19.13 onto it. I also installed the EDS file for that major revision into my RSlinx. The program that I downloaded to it is already used on other machines so I think the program part of it should be good. Any suggestions would be greatley appreciatted. Thank you.

On the L23E processors, I think there are two EDS files, one for the CPU and one for the Ethernet module. Did you install both?
Also have you set the IP address for the Ethernet port (RSLinx)?

Thanks for the reply. I only see one EDS for the 1769-L23EQB1 and two for the 1769-L23EQBFC1. I have the QB1.

Can you PING the controller at the IP address you think it is configured for ?

Does the controller's embedded Web page appear when you type its IP address into a Web Browser ?

If not, then the IP address isn't set correctly and no amount of mucking about with EDS files will help.

I usually start by opening the BOOTP/DHCP server utility to see if the device is sending out BOOTP/DHCP requests. If so, I use the server to give it an IP address.

Another alternative is to connect via the RS-232 serial port and use RSLinx Classic to browse to the Ethernet daughtercard on the controller. RSLinx can configure the IP address from there.

I can find two EDS files for the 1769-L23EQB1, one for the CPU and one for the Ethernet port.
I have been caught with this before. Do a search for network independent and then Ethernet/IP. I am fairly certain you will find two separate EDS.

Ken is correct (As always!), have you set the IP address? Either through the RS-232 port or via the Bootp utility?

Thanks for the reply Ken, I can't ping it. I set the ethernet address in the ethernet port properties box under the general tab before I downloaded the program. Is that the right way to do it? Thanks

You have to set the IP address using RSLinx through the serial port of the CPU or using the Bootp utility from Rockwell.

Thanks Mike. I installed the other eds into my rslinx. Still can't connect. Can I set the IP address through the serial port while online with the plc or do it offline and then download? I'm not sure what the bootp utility is I have not used that before.

To set the IP via the RS-232 port:
In RSlinx, use RSWho to browse into the CPU, drill down till you get to the Ethernet port, then right click and select configure port, you should then be able to set the IP/subnet mask of the port.
If all is well, you should then be able to see the processor via the Ethernet/IP driver.

The older PLC-5E, SLC-5/05 and MicroLogix 1100/1400 controllers have the IP address as part of the user program configuration, and it's stored as part of the user program. If you configure it then download to the controller, the IP address of the controller will be set.

Rockwell Automation chose to make the ControlLogix communications separate from the CPU. The IP address is stored inside the 1756-ENxT module's nonvolatile memory, not in the User Program of any of the ControlLogix CPUs that share a chassis with it.

That design carried through to the CompactLogix, so even though the Ethernet port looks like it's physically integrated into the controller and there can only be one controller associated with it, the IP address is still stored in separate nonvolatile memory in the Ethernet daughtercard.

Setting an IP address offline and downloading it does not set or override the IP address of the Ethernet module in a ControlLogix or CompactLogix system.

You must configure the module online, or use RSLinx or the BOOTP/DHCP Server Utility to configure the IP address of any ControlLogix or CompactLogix Ethernet module.

Ken and Mike, thank you so much. Going through RSlinx did it. It makes a big difference when you do it the right way, thanks agian for straightening me out.

I wish I knew half as much about anything as Ken does about AB's hardware and software. I am always grateful to learn this stuff.