DeviceNet Problems

Rcamaran

Greetings,
I am new to this forum and I have a problem that may be trivial to most of you, however, it is eating my lunch. I tried to replace a failed SoftLogix PLC with a more modern controller by using a DeviceNet to Ethernet Gateway. Once I configured this device and connected to the rest of the network with RSNetworks, I learned that the exiting 4 AB 1794-ASN units could not be placed in the scan list of the new DeviceNet master. One other different DeviceNet slave unit did install and was scheduled for scanning, but the AB 1794-ASN units appear not to be available as slaves! Also, RSNeworx does scan and find all devices correctly. I did not change any configurations in any of the Flex I/O modules because I didn't have to, and mostly because I couldn't. Any ideas as to why the 1794-ASN can be found in the list of available devices for my DeviceNet Master?

Many anticipated thanks,

Last edited:
Welcome to the Forum !

Is the existing 1784-PCIDS card for the SoftLogix still in the RSNetworx project file ?

If it is, and it has scanlist entries for the 1794-ADN adapters, then RSNetworx will not make them available for other scanners.

Just delete the 1784-PCIDS from the project file (back it up first, of course) and you should be able to add those adapters to your new 1788-EN2DN scanlist.

Thanks for replying.
I don't believe that we may have any cards from the old project in this current configuration, or I least I hope we don't. We started a new project in RSNetworx when we installed the new DeviceNet master. I wonder if these Flex I/O deices can remember their old master and won't talk to the new master. Is this possible?

In my original post I used the part number 1794-ASN instead of 1794-ADN. The correct part number is 1794-ADN not 1794-ASN. My apologies.

Can you post the *.DNT file ?

The only reason I can think of for any slave device to be unavailable to be placed in a Scanlist is if it's already in another Scanlist in the RSNetworx project file.

It's true the 1794-ADN's remember which device created an I/O connection to them, but that should not affect the RSNetworx file. And they'll forget just as soon as they are power cycled.